Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need your advise, greatly appreciated

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

need your advise, greatly appreciated

I have taken exam p twice now, the first time i got 4 and the second time I got 5. I want to take again, but have failed twice already lowered my confidence and increased my frustration. I have studied all the materials and tried all the examples on the Actex Manual, I don't know why i can't pass. I want to be confident when I take the exam, not try to bet on my luck to pass it. Please give me some advice. Thank you.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mar2009 View Post
    I have taken exam p twice now, the first time i got 4 and the second time I got 5. I want to take again, but have failed twice already lowered my confidence and increased my frustration. I have studied all the materials and tried all the examples on the Actex Manual, I don't know why i can't pass. I want to be confident when I take the exam, not try to bet on my luck to pass it. Please give me some advice. Thank you.
    If you don't know why you failed, we will not know why you failed, think about that. You need to sit down and figure that out. Is it the time pressure? Do you need to order 3000 more problems and do them?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    maybe try a different approach of studying, try a different manual, can you close your eyes and remember how to do every single soa 140 questions?

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Did you understand the materials well? Do more practice questions and get yourself familiar with the P exam questions. Dont worry, you are not the only one, i failed twice too but managed to pass just recently at my 3rd attempt. I tried the BPP 500 questions bank and i found it quite useful, but most importantly, be sure you comprehend all the questions in SOA140, a few P questions may come out exactly word for word from SOA140. Good luck for your next attempt!

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Qing View Post
    Did you understand the materials well? Do more practice questions and get yourself familiar with the P exam questions. Dont worry, you are not the only one, i failed twice too but managed to pass just recently at my 3rd attempt. I tried the BPP 500 questions bank and i found it quite useful, but most importantly, be sure you comprehend all the questions in SOA140, a few P questions may come out exactly word for word from SOA140. Good luck for your next attempt!
    That's the key. If you're only memorizing questions and answers, and not fully comprehending the concepts you're studying, then you're missing the point.

the second time i took it, I know how to do 15 of the 30 problems, and the rest i only know some parts, i just had enough time to try every question once. If i had more time, maybe i could figure out one or two more. more than half of the questions i don't know i could eliminate at least two answers. Apprently that was not enough for me to pass. I want to comfortably pass the exam, not try to pass it by luck. right now i don't know what to do to achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreExams View Post
    If you don't know why you failed, we will not know why you failed, think about that. You need to sit down and figure that out. Is it the time pressure? Do you need to order 3000 more problems and do them?

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    the second time i took it, I know how to do 15 of the 30 problems, and the rest i only know some parts, i just had enough time to try every question once. If i had more time, maybe i could figure out one or two more. more than half of the questions i don't know i could eliminate at least two answers. Apprently that was not enough for me to pass. I want to comfortably pass the exam, not try to pass it by luck. right now i don't know what to do to achieve that.
    Then the answer seems clear to me, you need to do more problems and you need to do mock exams. Order practice exams from BPP and do them. Get your hands on as many problems as you can and do them.

i can do about 75% of the SOA 140 questions right, do you have suggestions for another manual?

Quote Originally Posted by skyt View Post
    maybe try a different approach of studying, try a different manual, can you close your eyes and remember how to do every single soa 140 questions?

thanks, that made me feel a lot better. what other study material did you use other than BPP 500?

Quote Originally Posted by Qing View Post

what do you mean by fully comprehending?

Quote Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
    That's the key. If you're only memorizing questions and answers, and not fully comprehending the concepts you're studying, then you're missing the point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information