Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is the best/most challenging FSA designation?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Talking how to get to ERM/finance track?

Quote Originally Posted by wat View Post
    For me, I work in Life Insurance primarily, but after an unsuccessful attempt at the ILA Design and Pricing exam, I decided to switch to the ERM/Finance track. It was a personal choice based on my personal outlook on the future of business and where things are trending. It was quite a challenge because I didn't have much experience with ERM/Finance topics from school or work, but I did find the material interesting and challenging.

Im currently working for a consulting firm, particularly in the actuarial department. Usually we do valuation report on a company's retirement plan. That is, im in the track of Pension. But I would like to be in the ERM/Finance. How should i suppose to get there? What kind of work and company should i look for to be in the said field. You said in your post that you're currently in the ERM/finance. Would you mind if I ask you what kind of work you do or rather your job title and what kind of company you are working for. :smiloe:

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sohpmalvin View Post
    There are still many areas to be explored for ERM. The conventional actuarial skills are not yet fully applied in risk management areas. If you are interested in this field, I suggest that you should be a person who likes idea creation and innovation- innovate the actuarial skills and create your own models to meet the need of risk management.
    oooh that sounds challenging and exciting! im loving it more :rolleye: :coolman:

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by vealodev1 View Post
    Im currently working for a consulting firm, particularly in the actuarial department. Usually we do valuation report on a company's retirement plan. That is, im in the track of Pension. But I would like to be in the ERM/Finance. How should i suppose to get there? What kind of work and company should i look for to be in the said field. You said in your post that you're currently in the ERM/finance. Would you mind if I ask you what kind of work you do or rather your job title and what kind of company you are working for. :smiloe:
    Well, I chose to switch to the ERM/Finance track, but I am not currently employed in a position that is making the most use of the CERA credential. I'm still what you'd consider an analyst for an insurance company.

When it comes to ERM/Finance, you can pretty much work for any company or corporation. Obviously, how the ERM framework applies to a company differs greatly from company to company and is dependent on a multitude of factors. However, the underlying principles of ERM remain the same, from a high-level enterprise-wide point of view in analyzing risk.

Banks, insurance companies, financial institutions, colleges, manufacturing companies - pretty much anyone in need of a risk analyst to thoroughly consider all risks, whether market, credit, strategic, operational or otherwise.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Two responses to the same post, and who, exactly, has too much free time on their hands?
    I guess we both do.
    Last edited by R_T; December 26th 2009 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thesecondmouse View Post
    I'm happy for you. keep up the good work, i decided five minutes ago am no longer interested in actuarial science. I will say this, the experience has given me a lot of insight into what i want to do with the rest of my life. good luck, and does FCAS stand for, by any chance...just kidding. It would have been a good one though, trust me. Have a great life, am never coming back to this forum, ever, I will be missed:unsure:. it was nice meeting all you people, goodbye and good luck being actuaries. :smiloe:
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your decision wasn't based strictly on your experience on this forum.Best Regards & Good Luck
    Last edited by R_T; December 26th 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thesecondmouse View Post
    Not at all, it was based on irrational things that go on in my head, thereby making me flip flop at any given instance on issues I have already decided. I may need to get myself evaluated.

Seriously though, I'm just having a tough time making up my mind on what I want to do. One thing I know for sure is it must include mathematical analysis and be dealing with business/money/finance and NOT be accounting. As a solution I will begin FAP next week, my reasoning is if I'm in deep it will be harder for me to change my mind. That's my rationale and I'm sticking to it. I will see how it goes, it may not be the traditional path but I feel its the quickest way for me to immerse myself in the material.
    Sounds like a plan.
    Good Luck

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by wat View Post
    "Most challenging", of course, is all relative. Often times, when candidates are at the stage in their career that they're taking FSA exams, they'll have had at least a little work experience, and presumably, that work experience will help you understand the advanced topics of the FSA syllabi that are built upon the basics you learn on the job and in the preliminary exams.
    seo egypt
    For me, I work in Life Insurance primarily, but after an unsuccessful attempt at the ILA Design and Pricing exam, I decided to switch to the ERM/Finance track.http://www.nile7.com It was a personal choice based on my personal outlook on the future of business and where http://www.nile7.com/services things are trending. It was quite a challenge because I didn't have much experience with ERM/Finance topics from school or work, but I http://www.nile7.com/readings/about-us-nile7 did find the material interesting and challenging.

That's just my own experience, so you can take that for what it's worth.
    i'm agree with u

http://www.nile7.com/readings/about-us-nile7
    Last edited by snowwhiteeg; March 29th 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information