Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Mortgage Man Pass P

Actuary.com - Level III Poster mathrix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mortgage man View Post
    The inevitable has taken place. I wasn't as prepared as I would have liked to have been and as a result, I have failed. This isn't a huge surprise but I was still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that I'd slide through somehow.

That is a horrible feeling when the screen pops up and says that you have not passed. I know that I never want to see it again and that is all the motivation I need to make sure I am overly prepared next time.

I feel that I've mastered about half of the material so I should be able to nail down the other half over the next two months.

The thread will survive a while longer if you guys don't mind continuing to help me out.
    Will still help you out for the next sitting I think FM will be easier for you, which I'll be taking on May

Mahlerite
    Sorry to hear that, mortgage man.

What parts of the syllabus are you weak on?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

ok...so, back to the drawing board. time to start grinding those problematic problems! so will you be retaking it in march then?
    Actuary!??..is that a noun or an adjective? :confused-:

So I took the weekend off to drown my sorrows and now I'm ready to get back to the task at hand. I will be signing up for the next sitting. The key to passing will be doing as many problems as I can and focusing on the areas that give me the most difficulty.

I'm going to go through the Actex manual today and take note of the areas that I don't feel extremely confident. Then, I can make a syllabus and attack these areas. In addition, I plan on doing the SOA problems. I started these and made it half way through before moving on to practice tests. The first 70 questions were easy for me. Apparently the areas I struggle with are covered in the second half of the problems.

I hope to have some problem areas identified by the end of the day so assistance will most likely be needed. Thanks to all.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Sorry to hear that Mortgage Man. From personal experience, taking sometimes off might serve you good. Then again, it's different for each person. One way that really helped me is that even for the example problems within each section, cover the answers and try to do them as if you were taking the exam. Mark the ones you couldn't do without the answer to guide you through. Read the solutions throughly, wait the the next day or after, go back and try to do them again. This helps you really remember how to approach each problem. Of course, you want to do the same thing for the sample exams as well. Hope this helps.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

Started over in the Actex manual. Made it through the first 3 sections and am now working on section 4. Didn't have much trouble with any of these sections but it was a good review. Hopefully I can make it through the majority of the material by the end of this week and identify what I really need to focus on for the next month and a half.

I'm starting to think it would have been a better idea to start with FM and take P after having a little testing experience. I have a Bachelor's in Finance so I hope that exam will be less challenging for me.

I'm already committed to P though so hopefully I have a better result in March.

Started over in the Actex manual. Made it through the first 3 sections and am now working on section 4. Didn't have much trouble with any of these sections but it was a good review. Hopefully I can make it through the majority of the material by the end of this week and identify what I really need to focus on for the next month and a half.

I'm starting to think it would have been a better idea to start with FM and take P after having a little testing experience. I have a Bachelor's in Finance so I hope that exam will be less challenging for me.

I'm already committed to P though so hopefully I have a better result in March.
    I'm with you. I am starting over. This is my third time taking the exam. The first time, I had no idea what I was doing and got a 0! Last fall, I took it again and got a 5. So, I'm close. There are a few areas that really throw me off. So, I am starting over with the basics and focussing on the things that really trip me up. Good luck to you.

Problem:

X is continuous random variable w/ density function 6x-6x^2 for 0<x<1
    and 0 otherwise

Calculate probabilty that [!X-1/2! > 1/4]

(exclamation points signify abs. value)

So I look at this problem and I know that for this to be true, X has to be greater than .75 or less than .25.

I perform the two intervals from .75 to 1 and 0 to .25.

For the first, I get negative .84375 and for the second, .15625. Adding these together, I come up with negative .6875.

This answer is correct if it were positive???

What am I doing wrong?

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Problem:

X is continuous random variable w/ density function 6x-6x^2 for 0<x<1
    and 0 otherwise

Calculate probabilty that [!X-1/2! > 1/4]

(exclamation points signify abs. value)

So I look at this problem and I know that for this to be true, X has to be greater than .75 or less than .25.

I perform the two intervals from .75 to 1 and 0 to .25.

For the first, I get negative .84375 and for the second, .15625. Adding these together, I come up with negative .6875.

This answer is correct if it were positive???

What am I doing wrong?
    6x-6x^2 = 6x(1-x)

Both of these are positive from 0<x<1, so you're dropping a sign somewhere in the intergral:

Integrate(6x-6x^2, (0,.25)) = (1/2)6x^2 - (.333) 6x^3 [from 0 to .25]
    = (6/(2*4*4)) - (6/(3*4*4*4))- (0-0) = 6/32 - 1/32 = 5/32.
    Same intergral, but from 3/4 to 1:
    = (6/2)-(6/3) - ((6*3*3)/(2*4*4) - (6*3*3*3)/(3*4*4*4))
    = 3 - 2 - (27/16) + (27/32)
    = 1 - 27/32 = 5/32
    [You could also get this by symmetry, since the parabola is symmetrical about x=1/2]

What did you get?

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    You know there are symbols for absolute value "|" it's "shift + \"

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information