Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: Thinking of becoming an actuary...

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Thinking of becoming an actuary...

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this board, and new to the actuary idea altogether. I will be graduating in a few weeks with a Bachelor's in Business Administration. This is a profession that seems like it would interest me a bunch, even though I did not major in statistics or math. Math is something that does interest me, and I think that after studying for them I would not have much problem passing the exams.

I'm looking to relocate to the Dallas area in June of next year, so if this career is a possibility for me then I would like to start applying for jobs as soon as possible. I'm wondering if this is a possiblity for me even though I will have a Business Administration degree rather than Math or Statistics. If so, then I am also looking for a mentor to help get started in this field. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by blord View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to this board, and new to the actuary idea altogether. I will be graduating in a few weeks with a Bachelor's in Business Administration. This is a profession that seems like it would interest me a bunch, even though I did not major in statistics or math. Math is something that does interest me, and I think that after studying for them I would not have much problem passing the exams.

I'm looking to relocate to the Dallas area in June of next year, so if this career is a possibility for me then I would like to start applying for jobs as soon as possible. I'm wondering if this is a possiblity for me even though I will have a Business Administration degree rather than Math or Statistics. If so, then I am also looking for a mentor to help get started in this field. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!
    To be an actuary, you must pass the exams (www.soa.org, www.beanactuary.org). Your major is (almost) irrelevant. If you can pass exams, you can be an actuary. If you can't pass exams, then you can't. Start studying for P/1, get the Actuarial Study Materials, register for the exam, and take your shot. If math is just something that 'interests' you, then you may not have what it takes, but the exams will be the proof, one way or the other.

Actuary.com - Level V Poster
    Without actuarial exams, you probably won't find full-time work as an actuarial student. Get a job - internship, temp, part-time, if you can't get full-time - in an insurance-related field, preferably where actuaries are employed. Then if you pass an exam or two you might be accepted to a full-time actuarial position.
    I thought this WAS a real job

Here's another idea I've been thinking about. I'm planning on relocating, but not until mid-summer, and I was planning on keeping the job I have now, unrelated, until I make the move. In the meantime, would it be a possibility for me to study for and pass the first exam, and then start applying for jobs? I'm thinking if I study for a solid two months, then pass the exam, that would leave me enough time to look for and apply to jobs where I'm trying to relocate to. BUT - would passing one exam be enough for prospective employers? Thanks for the feedback, it's very much appreciated!

Actuary.com - Level V Poster
    One exam might get you a job, but two is often minimum. Internship might be more feasible. Apply now for next summer.
    I thought this WAS a real job

blord, I think we're pretty much in the same boat here. The thing for me is that I'm looking at an average actuary salary and am feeling like the pain of starting my career in an area that's not my specialty (statistical analysis in social sciences) might be worthwhile. :unsure: Anway, mostly just wanted to say hi to everyone and look forward to future posts on this thread...

Thread Information