Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Thread: No degree yet...

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

No degree yet...

I am going to be a junior in college and will graduate with a math degree. I have passed the P/1 exam with a solid score. I am 100% percent ready for my FM/2 exam in February and my MFE exam in May, but I am having trouble deciding where my priorities should be. I have had a couple actuarial job offers with decent salaries, but I don't know whether I should scratch my degree and take a job, or keep attending school and taking out loans. I only have my general education courses left to do for my degree, but it will still take me a couple years to finish up school. If you have an opinion let me know what you think because I could go for some good advice.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    You had FT offers to work in the actuarial department without a degree and one exam?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster Chitown26's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psa8922 View Post
    I am going to be a junior in college and will graduate with a math degree. I have passed the P/1 exam with a solid score. I am 100% percent ready for my FM/2 exam in February and my MFE exam in May, but I am having trouble deciding where my priorities should be. I have had a couple actuarial job offers with decent salaries, but I don't know whether I should scratch my degree and take a job, or keep attending school and taking out loans. I only have my general education courses left to do for my degree, but it will still take me a couple years to finish up school. If you have an opinion let me know what you think because I could go for some good advice.
    How soon will you be a junior? Next fall? This January? Either way, I absolutely recommend finishing up school and applying for internships to work during your summers. If you're looking for a full-time position, I am pretty sure you need to have a Bachelors degree.
    Last edited by Chitown26; December 28th 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    If you are able to find a good job and only have Gen Ed requirements left, would it be possible to take one online course each semester at the community college level to transfer in the courses needed to finish while working full-time? If your potential employers are willing to hire you as is and the fit is right, definitely consider things. Worst comes to worst, save up a lot of cash from working and if you get downsized in 6 months you don't have to take out loans to go to school full-time on unemployment.

For that matter, if you're a US national, the Pell grant completely covers the cost of community college tuition in NY.

Check with your college adviser to make sure you'd be able to transfer classes in.

Good luck with everything!

Thread Information