Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: Too many errors in ASM: MFE Manual?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Too many errors in ASM: MFE Manual?

I'm currently preparing for the MFE exams in May, and purchased the ASM: MFE manual to do so. I'm currently in Chapter 10 (page 204), have just finished checking a problem where the solution provided is clearly INCORRECT. This is the third error I've found, and makes me wonder how many errors are out there I have not found. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by briere48 View Post
    I'm currently preparing for the MFE exams in May, and purchased the ASM: MFE manual to do so. I'm currently in Chapter 10 (page 204), have just finished checking a problem where the solution provided is clearly INCORRECT. This is the third error I've found, and makes me wonder how many errors are out there I have not found. Has anyone else experienced something similar?
    This has been brought up before. ASM does have errors. Other manuals have errors. Even textbooks have errors. ASM is prefered by MANY, if you do not like it, get a different manual or read the book and deal with their presentation of the material and (hopefully) less errors.

My personal opinion is that the errors in ASM are, most of the time, not too relevant to my understanding of the material and so I will let them go and keep the errata by my side while studying. Abe W. posts on here and on AO so I can always send him a message and get a response fairly quickly as well as being sure that he keeps the errata updated fairly frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreExams View Post
    This has been brought up before. ASM does have errors. Other manuals have errors. Even textbooks have errors. ASM is prefered by MANY, if you do not like it, get a different manual or read the book and deal with their presentation of the material and (hopefully) less errors.

My personal opinion is that the errors in ASM are, most of the time, not too relevant to my understanding of the material and so I will let them go and keep the errata by my side while studying. Abe W. posts on here and on AO so I can always send him a message and get a response fairly quickly as well as being sure that he keeps the errata updated fairly frequently.
    I like ASM as this is the 2nd manual I've purchased from them. I did not notice any errors in the FM manual. When I drop $200 on a textbook/manual, I expect it to be proofed and error free, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by briere48 View Post
    I like ASM as this is the 2nd manual I've purchased from them. I did not notice any errors in the FM manual. When I drop $200 on a textbook/manual, I expect it to be proofed and error free, but that's just me.
    LOL. Good luck with that search.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreExams View Post
    LOL. Good luck with that search.
    Best of luck in your studies.

I'm with briere48 100%. The volume of errors is absurd. They even incorrectly correct errors. That is simply unacceptable!! I have the 6th Edition. It's awful:

http://www.aceyourexams.net/errata/ErrataMFE-6d.pdf

12 pages of errors is disgraceful by any standards. I've ordered the textbook.

I just took a look through the available sample of the new ASM 7th Edition at the link below that claims ''corrections of all known errata have been made'':

http://www.studymanuals.com/excerpts...t_11-15-09.pdf

Well take a look at the errata from the 6th Edition for Chapter 1 and they have still NOT all been corrected in the 7th Edition. Monkeys!!

Like I said earlier, it's not perfect but I think Abe does a good job. Feel free to use a different manual for MLC/C, I'm fairly positive you'll come back to ASM.

Thread Information