Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you wanting to be an actuary ...

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

confused + confused = Extremely confused

SOA changed the syllabus for exam M recently. Before they splitted it into two exams, they also made some changes to Exam M for November sitting.
    Now, here's my question.....
    Are they still changing the exam for Nov exam?
    If yes, what's the difference..
    Please help... I am totally lost..
    @udrey

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    http://www.soa.org/ccm/cms-service/s...g11n.enc=UTF-8

The above link describes the changes for this Fall.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

=) thanks

Thanks.. the summary of changes really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan_Horse
    http://www.soa.org/ccm/cms-service/s...g11n.enc=UTF-8

The above link describes the changes for this Fall.
    @udrey

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    ''', am I ever grateful I found this site and this thread in particular. I just found out what an actuary was 2 months ago, and I'm already going back to college in two months because I feel it is a perfect career match for me.

It's a bit daunting though, I left college 3 years ago and I'm going back with almost all my basics done, so I'm launching straight into my majors.

I'm most interested in Life/Annuities and P&C...but Finance above all. I know I'll need to work up to the Finance field.

But I have a question...I decided on a BBA in Finance and a BS in Economics with minors in Computer Science and Math. It's going to take me 4 years but I'm hoping to complete 2 or 3 exams before I graduate. My question is, would getting a minor in those fields help me? The only reason I'm getting minors in Math and CS is because I was already taking those classes and only had to add 2 CS classes and 2 Math, so I figured why not. But if those won't even make a dent on being hired, I would rather save the money on those classes since their relevance to the actuary profession is almost nill. Should you even put minors on a resume?

Also, I took two Calc classes 4 years ago, when I was fresh out of high school, my first year in college, and although I doubt I can remember all (or even part) of what I learned, I don't want to re-take those classes. What do you guys think? Should I retake them...are they THAT important if I'm taking so many other math classes like Diff Eqtns and Prob and Stat classes? I can add Vector Calc (which I haven't taken) to my second year, but I'll have already taken 4 or 5 math classes by then...would it be helpful?

Since you're close enough, get the minors. You never know when the info in those classes will be useful - better to learn and not need it than to not learn and need it later on. They're not irrelevant to the field (which is why I suggest taking classes in each).

Should you put minors on a resume? That's a question for a recruiter or someone in Career Services at your university ... I'm thinking "yes", but ask someone who reviews/critiques resumes for a living.

Your Stat classes will very likely be calculus-based, so if nothing else find a good refresher manual for calculus and make sure you've got it down. Your DiffEq class will assuredly use calculus, so you should make sure you understand the material before you sit in on that first class. Short answer: yes, calculus is that important. (Vector Calculus? Is that like Matrix Theory? You'll have to give more details on what the class is.)

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

How to do Actuarial Sciences.?

hello
    Im Talha from Pakistan
    i want u to give me sum information abt Actuarial Sciences
    i want to start this
    but i dont know frm where to start
    how to register..?
    wht shud i do first...?
    how many exams are there..?
    how to do preparation for the exams..?
    means i want u to tell me right from the beginning please
    reply soon

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Verbal And Writing Skills

HI EVERYONE, I HOPE SOME OF YOU THAT ARE ALREADY IN THE JOB, CAN TELLME ABOUT COMMUNICATIONS AND WRITING SKILLS. I KNOW, NOT ONLY IN THIS JOB CARE ABOUT THIS, BUT THIS IS ONE OF THE MORE DEMANDING JOBS OF THOSE SKILLS. WHEN THEY ASK FOR GOOD COMUNICATIONS SKILLS AND WRIITNG, WHAT THEY REALLY ARE TRAYING TO SAY. I AM A IMMIGRANT THAT HAS BEING HERE ONLY FOR VERY SHORT TIME IN THE US. I JUST FINDOUT ABOUT THIS CARREAR AND I AM VERY INTERESTING. hOW CAN I KNOW IF I HAVE THOSE SKILLS???????

Quote Originally Posted by elcerrito
    HI EVERYONE, I HOPE SOME OF YOU THAT ARE ALREADY IN THE JOB, CAN TELLME ABOUT COMMUNICATIONS AND WRITING SKILLS. I KNOW, NOT ONLY IN THIS JOB CARE ABOUT THIS, BUT THIS IS ONE OF THE MORE DEMANDING JOBS OF THOSE SKILLS. WHEN THEY ASK FOR GOOD COMUNICATIONS SKILLS AND WRIITNG, WHAT THEY REALLY ARE TRAYING TO SAY. I AM A IMMIGRANT THAT HAS BEING HERE ONLY FOR VERY SHORT TIME IN THE US. I JUST FINDOUT ABOUT THIS CARREAR AND I AM VERY INTERESTING. hOW CAN I KNOW IF I HAVE THOSE SKILLS???????
    1. Turn your CAPS lock off. Typing in all CAPS is considered screaming, and is frowned on by just about anyone who reads on the Internet.
    2. When they say "good communication skills and writing", they mean "good communication skills and writing"; if you can't say something in a way that's easily understood by others or if others can't understand what you're saying, that's a bad thing.
    3. English 101. If your writing looks like something a 1st-grader would write, you're not going to get into this field regardless of how smart you may be.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elcerrito
    My virgin eyes!!!
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Now updated since there's been a slew of "Can I get a job if I have x exams?" posts. Also updated to answer the often-asked question, "When should I start applying?"
    Last edited by Irish Blues; July 20th 2006 at 08:56 AM.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information