Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that drive you crazy

Super Moderator
    :Ouch: Hurricanes hitting my house.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster Puoya's Avatar
    -4 cars going at the same slow speed in a 4 lane freeway with no intention to merge in to one lane and me behind.....
    -1 car cutting me off just to pass another by increasing the speed 1 extra mile~
    -People who stop to look at accidents..on the other side of the freeway...
    -Women who flick me off when I do any of the above~
    -Getting pulled over by a cop in a stupid bycicle...
    -People who decide to cross a 4 lane street with 1 second left for a light change....and do so at the slowest pace...
    the list goes on~~~~
    "As far as I'm concerned, I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue." Albert Einstein
    "It is hard to tell if a man is telling the truth when you know you would lie if you were in his place." H. L. Mencken

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Puoya View Post
    -4 cars going at the same slow speed in a 4 lane freeway with no intention to merge in to one lane and me behind.....
    -1 car cutting me off just to pass another by increasing the speed 1 extra mile~
    -People who stop to look at accidents..on the other side of the freeway...
    -Women who flick me off when I do any of the above~
    ~~~~

Just curious - are you saying only women do the above things:laugh:?

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Just curious - are you saying only women do the above things:laugh:?
    No. The logical interpretation would be that only women do it to HIM, and even more logical would be that only women doing it to him pisses him off

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    What drives me seriously crazy in a bad way is food day at work. Every few days or so, somebody thinks of some random reason to celebrate and then we all have to sign up to bring in some dish. It's not mandatory, but you're basically seen as a heathen if you don't participate. You can't just bring in the food. You have to eat it and moan suggestively about how delicious it is, and then you have to listen to a bunch of foodies yank eachother about how organic, fair trade, and authentic their recipes are. If you walk away and try to go out to lunch like normal, you are pretty much excommunicated.

I hate food. It's just fuel to keep the body running, and it happens to sometimes be sort of tasty. But it's just not that interesting, and all these modern food fads are just marketing - they're not going to save the world from oppression and darkness. I've decided next time there's a food day, I'm calling in sick.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster tyhawk10's Avatar
    I have a pet peeve for people who incorrectly call Native Americans 'Indians'. The Native Americans were the people originally living in the Americas when they were 'discovered'. Indians are people from India.

I'm not Native American or Indian, but I remember learning this when I watched a history channel documentary in elementary school when I was....say 8 years old. For some reason I have always remembered the difference and get irritated when other people don't.
    "You will miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

~Gretzky

Actuary.com - Level II Poster tyhawk10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alekhine4149 View Post
    I hate food. It's just fuel to keep the body running, and it happens to sometimes be sort of tasty.

Haha, I enjoyed your story, but I will have to disagree with you about hating food. I love food. I worked as a cook in college for a while. In fact I cook for myself almost everyday with fresh food and don't know how I could survive without satisfying my cravings. My food always tastes great. Sorry to hear that its only sometimes tasty for you.

However, I agree with you on the 'food days' at work. Some people went overboard at my work also. The part about being shunned for not going absolutley crazy about others recipes: so true. Work has a wierd way of making some people....wierd.
    "You will miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

~Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyP View Post
    Other profile annoyances:

1) The inside jokes.
    2) The 20 page away messages detailing their plans for the day. Hey guess what... No one cares that you are taking a shower before class, then studying in the library, then watching the OC, then goin to bed! (then again maybe they care about the showering...nice to know)
    3) The quote "We pregame harder than you party". I think that anyone with this quote really is insecure about their ability to party and feel the need to show everyone up who reads it. By the way, no one cares how hard you party.
    4) People who become fans of the sports teams come playoff time despite having zero knowledge of the sport and/or the players and THEN display it in their profiles for their friends to see.
    you read my mind....i hate every one of those things...especially number 4. When you ask the people who won the game last night, they won't know but they'll know the series are tied because a friend tells them. Then they think they are supporting the team by watching Game 7

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Where do I begin???

1. Corner Cutters and Tailgaters - I HATE when people tailgate me on the highway and then cut me off just to move 5 feet in front of me.
    2. Strangers who sit next to you awkwardly on the train when there are plenty of open two seaters.
    3. Nail Files
    4. Slow and wide walkers on the sidewalk. They leave absolutely no room to pass them on the sidewalk and they are moving at a glacial pace.

There is more....but for another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
    -- "Greatest Ever" or "Worst Ever" lists
    Isn't this just a "Worst Ever" list????

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information