Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Things that drive you crazy

Quote Originally Posted by JMO Fan View Post
    More amusing to pass you both after the cop pulls you over.
    I've witnessed both of them get pulled over. The left-lane guy for flipping off the cop when the cop signaled for him to get out of the way, the passer-by for going around 80 past an unmarked car and cutting right in front after passing without signaling.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

I re-read this thread from the beginning ... and I have to say, I'm glad I no longer have to deal with a few of the things that I've previously mentioned. :cloud9:

New additions on my list:
    1. Annoying family members. This really doesn't need further explanation, we all have a few of them [and the horror stories that go with them].

2. When you're trying to sell your house, and people aren't interested because of reasons like "I can't believe they have a couch like that" or "I can't believe they have their elliptical there." I'm taking the couch and the elliptical with me when I leave, try looking at the actual house instead of trying to play Interior Design Police.

3. When the rest of the family can take vacation for 4-6 weeks and you can't go for anything more than a weekend. [This will be the 3rd consecutive summer this has happened.]

4. Bad officiating. [Yes, this is a direct shot at FIFA - but it extends to several other places.]

5. Programming in SAS. Those of us that have had to do this completely understand; those of you that don't - you will understand at some point if you ever have to do it.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

If I've got a choice between McDonald's and Burger King as a place to eat, I'd like to choose Burger King every time. Their food is better [even if it's slightly more expensive], they have actual pickles as opposed to slices of pseudo-pickles like McDonald's has, they actually put lettuce on burgers instead of pieces of green something, .... but today reminded me why I don't eat Burger King as much as I'd like to.

They never get my order right. Doesn't matter what Burger King I go to, if it's in my hometown, the town I live in, the town I work in, or some place wherever - my order is never right. McDonald's, I know I'll get my order right every time. Oh sure, the food may be semi-passable for actual food, and I may get nauseous thinking about eating it, but I know that if I ask for a burger with only ketchup and pickles, it will have only ketchup and pickles; if I want a Diet '''', I'll get a Diet ''''; if I want a Filet O' Fish plain, it will be in the box [in all its fried glory] plain.

Burger King? If I ask for no tomato and no onions, I'm going to get at least one of them on the sandwich - if not both. If I want a Diet '''', I'm going to get a '''', or a Sprite, or some other soda that's not a Diet ''''. If I want the chicken sandwich with no lettuce, I'll get a large side salad's worth of lettuce in the sandwich - and chances are, half of it will have expired yesterday. It really shouldn't be that difficult ... but Burger King just manages to ''''' up order after order on me - and that's a shame. If my experience is symptomatic of what others experience when they go to BK, no wonder the chain struggles to compete with McDonald's.

So why do I keep going back? I don't know. Even though I know every time they're going to ''''' up my order, for whatever reason I tell myself "no, this time they'll get it right" and so I go order ... and sure enough, they've messed up something. After today, though, it may be a while before I go back - not because today's order was so messed up, but because of the entire history of botched orders and the fact that I really don't want to have to endure yet another one again.
    Last edited by Irish Blues; October 18th 2010 at 03:15 PM.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
    5. Programming in SAS. Those of us that have had to do this completely understand; those of you that don't - you will understand at some point if you ever have to do it.
    I agree with this.

I also get upset when people cannot use correct grammar. There is a distinct and discernible difference between the uses of "your" and "you're" - please learn the correct usage. Also, the correct usage of I and me. Most people, like Merriam-Webster and me, realize you don't use "I" there.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster tyhawk10's Avatar
    If we started enforcing a $5 charge for every unnecessary lange change during commutes to and from work, we wouldn't have as many wreckless drivers tailgaiting and weaving in and out of both lanes to eventually get a mere 3 cars ahead.......only to be completely stopped in standstill traffic a mile down the road.
    "You will miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

~Gretzky

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tyhawk10 View Post
    If we started enforcing a $5 charge for every unnecessary lange change during commutes to and from work, we wouldn't have as many wreckless drivers tailgaiting and weaving in and out of both lanes to eventually get a mere 3 cars ahead.......only to be completely stopped in standstill traffic a mile down the road.
    Sure right after you enforce a $10 charge for everyone that takes 7 minutes to make a lane change into a turning lane or making a turn period. I'm fairly positive no one needs to slow down to 3 mi/h to make a turn.

Things that drive me crazy. I can't think of much these days that doesn't revolve around unemployment, but there are a few items.

- News reports that interview "the average person". Yes, enough wandering the streets with cameras will yield someone who can parrot the Republican talking points, and someone else who can parrot the Democratic talking points to give the illusion of "balance", but how exactly does this actually inform the person watching?

- Re: FWD: fwd: FWD: re: re: Re: Fwd: RE: FUNNY JOKE!!! Why is it that no one seems to bother cleaning out all the junk in the title and body of the message before polluting my inbox with it? Do I really want to wade through 10 pages of indentation arrows, irrelevant comments added by people I don't know, just to find the allegedly funny joke? And it's never funny; it's always a stupid marriage joke, or maybe a kitschy story about little kids. Someone you also get the moral outrages that would be shocking if they were halfway plausible.

- Excessive grinding or encounter rates in role playing games. RPG's are my favorite sort of game, but they can be brutal if not designed well. Do I really need to a big group of bats every three steps? And the worst is when the game is designed so that the player is required to wander around, fighting the same bats over and over again.

- At the risk of offending someone, how stupid does a person need to be to fall for those "make $100/hr working at home, no skill required!" ads? And just how many secret shopper positions are out there? It is an outrage to prey upon people who are unemployed and desperate with these kinds of scams.

- Have you ever put a dollar coin into the meter on a bus, only to be credited for a quarter? The slot machines in Vegas can tell if the coin being inserted is off by even the tiniest amount, yet nothing approximating this technology seems to be usable on buses. Fortunately, drivers seem to be aware of this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pepper2000 View Post
    - Excessive grinding or encounter rates in role playing games.
    This makes me think of the 4.5 day binge I had playing World of '''''''' Burning Crusade to become the first level 70 druid on my server. Yes, I was THAT dorky.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NBran View Post
    This makes me think of the 4.5 day binge I had playing World of '''''''' Burning Crusade to become the first level 70 druid on my server. Yes, I was THAT dorky.
    How do you know you were the first level 70 druid on your server? This was before achievs. right?

I was in the best guild on my server - we were ranked top 20 US guild before TBC. A simple /who druid 68-70 was what I typed the last three levels of my grind. TBC came out on a Tuesday, I was level 70 by Saturday morning I think or earlier. I don't remember.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information