Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: Question for Dr. Ostaszewski

Actuary.com - Level II Poster bdenyer's Avatar

Question for Dr. Ostaszewski

Dr. Ostaszewski,

I noticed on your website that you also have the CFA designation. Do you think that it is a good idea for actuarial students to try becoming a CFA in addition to pursuing their FSA? I am interested in doing both but I am wondering if there would be any potential benefits to this since time is already somewhat of an issue just taking the SOA exams. I am considering taking the investment track once I reach the higher-up exams, so it seems like the CFA designation could be relevant. Thank you in advance.
    Haven't you heard?
    It's a battle of words
    The poster-bearer cried

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    I also have the same question.

Thanks

Author, Instuctor and Seminar Provider krzysio's Avatar

Cfa

Quote Originally Posted by bdenyer
    Dr. Ostaszewski,

I noticed on your website that you also have the CFA designation. Do you think that it is a good idea for actuarial students to try becoming a CFA in addition to pursuing their FSA? I am interested in doing both but I am wondering if there would be any potential benefits to this since time is already somewhat of an issue just taking the SOA exams. I am considering taking the investment track once I reach the higher-up exams, so it seems like the CFA designation could be relevant. Thank you in advance.
    I obtained the CFA designation before I took on actuarial exams. It was significantly easier to become a CFA than an FSA. It only adds value to have a CFA designation if you work in asset-liability management (which is what I do in my research). If you want to be an actuary, you should pass actuarial exams, first and foremost, and then think about other designations or degrees.

Yours,
    Krzys'
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Thread Information