Greetings.

The Actuary’s Free Study Guide for Exam 6 has now been initiated. The index page containing all the sections to date can be found at http://rationalargumentator.com/actu...udy-guide.html

For those who have not yet encountered my work, I created free study guides for exams 3F/MFE, 3L, 4/C, and 5 as I was preparing for the exams. I passed each exam on the first attempt, and my work on the study guides was a crucial component of my success. I plan to take Exam 6 during the Fall 2010 sitting. I hope that the work I do to prepare for this exam will assist other candidates as well.

I intend for this study guide to have a slightly different structure from my previous guides. I will employ a “sandwiching” approach to the syllabus material. The study guide’s sections will alternate between (1) sections based on the course readings, designed to review syllabus material starting with the basics, and (2) sections of assorted exam-style questions based on actual prior exams. The latter kind of section will introduce concepts that have not yet been covered in the study guide; this is intended to teach via immersion. I have found that there is no better way to prepare for an exam than by practicing with the kinds of questions that have been asked before.

Two sections have been published today, following this approach:

Section 1: Basic Concepts Regarding Unpaid Claim Estimation

Section 2: Assorted Exam-Style Questions for Exam 6 – Part 1

Questions and discussion are welcome. Also, if you find errors in any of the problems, feel free to offer a correction.

Sincerely,
G. Stolyarov II