Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Thread: Doing FAP early?

Actuary.com - Level III Poster

Doing FAP early?

I'm seeking some more advice. In another thread, sohpmalvin suggested that I might start on the FAP modules now in order to distinguish myself in my job search. The short story of my situation is that I recently finished my Ph. D. in math, decided to leave academia for an actuarial career, and passed exams P/1 and FM/2 with 10's. I talked to someone else who thinks that if I got through the FAP modules, I would be qualified to seek non-entry level jobs despite the fact that I have no work experience.

Since the process represents a major investment of time and money, I want to seek more opinions before going down this route. Will anyone play the devil's advocate and tell me why this might not be a good idea? Should I also be thinking about another exam and the VEE requirements?

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper2000 View Post
    I'm seeking some more advice. In another thread, sohpmalvin suggested that I might start on the FAP modules now in order to distinguish myself in my job search. The short story of my situation is that I recently finished my Ph. D. in math, decided to leave academia for an actuarial career, and passed exams P/1 and FM/2 with 10's. I talked to someone else who thinks that if I got through the FAP modules, I would be qualified to seek non-entry level jobs despite the fact that I have no work experience.

Since the process represents a major investment of time and money, I want to seek more opinions before going down this route. Will anyone play the devil's advocate and tell me why this might not be a good idea? Should I also be thinking about another exam and the VEE requirements?
    I'd rather you passed MLC, MFE, C (or any combo of those) than FAP modules. Modules are easier and more expensive so I don't see why anyone would prefer you having them over the other prelims.

Pepper,

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm a career changer, I have a Bachelors in mathematics for K-12 (small stuff compared to a Ph. D). Iíve done P and FM and Iím just finishing up FAP. FAP is relatively expensive, has no significant math (like P), and has been very difficult for me at least, because I have absolutely no experience. Iíve never even had a desk job. My original intention was to get my ASA before I started looking for work. Iíve been advised to look for work now (before my ASA) and Iím starting to lean this way. I think I will get my VEEís out of the way too though, and leave C, MFE, and MLC to finish up after Iím hired. How old are you? I ask because Iím 41 and that can be a pro or a con for me considering I have no significant experience. Based on what Iíve experienced so far and in hind sight, Iíd say to go ahead and look for work now. It looks like a promising career. PM me if youíd like to talk more. What do you other posters think? Iím single, 41, and willing to relocate anywhere to get some experience. I can afford the time to look and wait for work. I have about 10 years of significant, non-related life experience (management, people skills, etc.). I have very basic excel skills. Iíve got P, FM, and will have FAP done soon.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I have begun studying for exam C now, though not at a very strong pace yet. Regardless, I am actively searching for work now, though am continuing to have great difficulty.

Regarding your comments, edt, I would say that regardless of what you are doing by way of ASA preparation, you should now be searching for work. It will be tough, as it is for all job seekers now, but it sounds like you should have least have enough qualifications to have a fighting chance. I must disagree with one thing that you said, though. Math education is a very challenging career and one for which there exists a critical need. It isn't "nothing" compared to anything else.

Thread Information