Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Thread: Are there any experienced actuaries willing to share their resumes with us?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

Are there any experienced actuaries willing to share their resumes with us?

Of course, I would suggest anonymizing any information that you are not comfortable sharing.

I think it would be interesting and helpful to others if the community could see examples of seasoned resumes. Through these resumes, an aspiring actuary could, to the best of their ability, mimic an experienced actuary's resume and use it as a faux mentor.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drhugrobot View Post
    Of course, I would suggest anonymizing any information that you are not comfortable sharing.

I think it would be interesting and helpful to others if the community could see examples of seasoned resumes. Through these resumes, an aspiring actuary could, to the best of their ability, mimic an experienced actuary's resume and use it as a faux mentor.
    How? We would stress different things. An FSA would not list exams or where they went to college but rather discuss the places they worked and the types of projects they worked on.

As a person with ... 3 exams, you would list exams, degree earned, and hopefully where you interned, etc.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreExams View Post
    How? We would stress different things. An FSA would not list exams or where they went to college but rather discuss the places they worked and the types of projects they worked on.

As a person with ... 3 exams, you would list exams, degree earned, and hopefully where you interned, etc.
    i stated all these... but no news yet.. lols

So you're saying you listed your exams, experience and degree(s) and you haven't heard back at all?

1) How many exams do you have?
    2) Do you have relevant experience?
    3) Do you require sponsorship?
    4) Are you in US/Canada/other?

Depending on your answers, different suggestions might be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreExams View Post

My goal with this thread was to a) avoid upsetting someone, and b) take a peek into my potential future.

I understand that the resume of an FSA will look much different than the resume of an entry-level candidate - that is the point. I assume that if I can see how an experienced actuary markets him- or herself, than I can start making some headway towards that future.

For example, do experienced actuaries belong to clubs or organizations that benefit them? Do they have designations that I may not have considered earning? How do they word their work experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by drhugrobot View Post
    My goal with this thread was to a) avoid upsetting someone, and b) take a peek into my potential future.

I understand that the resume of an FSA will look much different than the resume of an entry-level candidate - that is the point. I assume that if I can see how an experienced actuary markets him- or herself, than I can start making some headway towards that future.

For example, do experienced actuaries belong to clubs or organizations that benefit them? Do they have designations that I may not have considered earning? How do they word their work experiences?
    I don't think you've upset anyone, my point was that I didn't see much value in posting my resume (I haven't worked for THAT long either) vs. someone at the director level vs. someone at the VP level.

Your questions above are fine though and I can answer for myself and others can add as well I'm sure.

1) I imagine the organizations that experienced actuaries would belong to would be MAAA and SOA or CAS (or both) and they would indicate that by posting their credentials. Some might belong to other local Actuarial organizations or sit on various committees.

2) You can find the usual designations on SOA and CAS website (maybe you've never heard of CERA for example, SOA has a whole section on it). Others might be CFAs though I've rarely seen anyone put that on their resume but I work in Health.

3) Work experience is usually stated as the highest level achieved at each appropriate company / division and then 2-3 bullet points describing briefly what they did. For example created a book of business report that demonstrated claims and premium for the Medicare line of business. Worked on pricing the impact of health care initiatives for Large Group in IL, etc.

This might be a little bit much but one resume I found is here:

http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~gorvett/actprob/vita.pdf

I THINK a good reason is to see what resumes helped score a job..what they looked like. the lay out and info provided

Impressive! I'll never have that many qualifications! But I must remind myself I'm still younger than many and I changed careers twice.
    [QUOTE=NoMoreExams;76340]I don't think you've upset anyone, my point was that I didn't see much value in posting my resume (I haven't worked for THAT long

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    I THINK a good reason is to see what resumes helped score a job..what they looked like. the lay out and info provided
    I get that, my point was that your resume will look different from someone who has been an FSA for 10 years. What helps him get the job won't be the same for you. You are applying for different jobs.

My resume when I was first applying for a job looked different than my current resume. I'm not sure I could recreate what my entry-level resume was, and I agree with NME that my current resume wouldn't be completely applicable for entry-level positions.

What kills most people on the resume is content and clarity. Employers don't want to have to spend time looking through a resume to get the important information; if it doesn't jump out within 15-30 seconds, they'll discard it and move to the next resume. If an employer can see your exams, GPA and important facts about your skill set, that at least catches their attention - and that already puts you ahead of the pack. Make sure your contact information [read: e-mail address] is professional looking; "jsmith27" looks better than "you8mysk8tnazz" or "imadorkinator" or other similar things.

I've got a list of things somewhere in my archives on how to get your resume noticed and considered [or how to get it tossed quickly], I'll try to post them tonight when I'm not getting caught up on stuff around the house after being gone for 4 days.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Thread Information