Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: Clever Mnemonics for MFE Formulas

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

Clever Mnemonics for MFE Formulas

I understand that one should not learn simply by memorizing formulas. However, for some of these concepts I'm finding it easier to memorize formulas first, and then figure out how they work through practice problems.

Does anyone have any clever mnemonics for memorizing any of the formulas for MFE (or any general study tips for MFE for that matter)?

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drhugrobot View Post
    I understand that one should not learn simply by memorizing formulas. However, for some of these concepts I'm finding it easier to memorize formulas first, and then figure out how they work through practice problems.

Does anyone have any clever mnemonics for memorizing any of the formulas for MFE (or any general study tips for MFE for that matter)?
    I would advise that you stop trying to memorize. The only possible things to memorize are Vasicek and CIR stuff.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    Before I started studying for these exams, I thought I would be good at them because I can memorize things. I've come to learn that if your focusing on memorization you setting yourself up for a hard time come exam day.

In my humble opinion, you have to have done enough practice problems to the point that you memorize things without specifically "memorizing" them. Come exam day if I have to think about a formula, I am already "wrong", I personally need that time to digest the question and how best to approach it.

The trick isn't to have the formulas memorized but how to manipulate and use the information they give you to get you to where you need to go.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by brandond View Post
    Before I started studying for these exams, I thought I would be good at them because I can memorize things. I've come to learn that if your focusing on memorization you setting yourself up for a hard time come exam day.

In my humble opinion, you have to have done enough practice problems to the point that you memorize things without specifically "memorizing" them. Come exam day if I have to think about a formula, I am already "wrong", I personally need that time to digest the question and how best to approach it.

The trick isn't to have the formulas memorized but how to manipulate and use the information they give you to get you to where you need to go.
    Good answer - I whole-heartedly agree. I'm actually finding that I'm accidentally memorizing formulas from doing problems myself.

Also, has anyone used the ACTEX manual for this exam? In my opinion, ACTEX is great. It explains concepts very simply, and provides a lot of practice problems to sharpen the concepts you have just learned.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drhugrobot View Post
    Good answer - I whole-heartedly agree. I'm actually finding that I'm accidentally memorizing formulas from doing problems myself.

Also, has anyone used the ACTEX manual for this exam? In my opinion, ACTEX is great. It explains concepts very simply, and provides a lot of practice problems to sharpen the concepts you have just learned.
    I heard ACTEX is horrible in preparing you for MFE. Try doing the sample questions after ACTEX.

Thread Information