Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: Has anyone volunteered as an actuary (i.e. done actuarial work for free)?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

Has anyone volunteered as an actuary (i.e. done actuarial work for free)?

I would love to do some actuarial work for a non-profit organization to build extra experience into my resume, but I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone know which organizations might consider me for an actuarial position?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    sorry if you were expecting an answer, but i also wanted to leave a comment about how I was raelly curious about your question as well.

So..... if anyone knew any idea on where or how to start on this, i'd also appreciate it.

Thx a bunch!

If you're entry-level and looking for experience, you're probably not going to get to learn volunteering [i.e., doing it for free]; for the time needed to teach you how to do certain things and get you up to speed, it's just not worth it. Your best bet is to try and find a small office in your area that does actuarial work and see if you can learn there - even then, it would probably be an "as needed," per-hour situation and the amount of exposure you'd get would be limited to what's done there ... but some exposure is better than no exposure.

That said, I'd focus on exams, developing technical skills, and polishing interpersonal skills. Those things will lead you to a job faster than trying to volunteer somewhere.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    I don't really know the answer to your question, or if it has a real answer, but here's a thought that comes to mind. If you want to do some work with a political/policy orientation, identify the policy groups in your area that share your partisan orientations (i.e. Republican or Democrat, or whatever that major parties are in your country) and ask if they would have use for your kind of analysis. Again, you would probably need some experience in industry before you could do something useful for such an organization.

Public policy is a lot of fun, and in fact I almost ended up going that direction instead of the actuarial direction. If improving your resume is your goal, then getting involved in such as organization could give you a modest boost. Especially if you are applying for a consulting firm that works with public pensions or something else policy related. Take the foregoing with a grain of salt, since I have limited experience and am speculating to some degree.

Thread Information