Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on receiving thank you letters after an interview?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will not hire someone if they do not send a thank you letter.

0 0%
  • They can make the candidate look better.

1 33.33%
  • I am indifferent to them.

1 33.33%
  • I find them annoying but they don't hurt.

1 33.33%
  • They actually hurt candidates chances of getting the job.

0 0%

Thread: Thank you letters after interview

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Thank you letters after interview

Hello, so I just had a second interview. Online, I have found much information on thank you letters saying I must do them and they should be unique to each person I interviewed with (this would amount to 7 different ones) and should be sent out within 24 hours. Also, I should refresh their memories as to why I am so awesome so they will hire me.

I have heard various opinions from "you won't get hired if you do not send me one" to "it is annoying when I receive one".

So, my question is, what do you (someone who actually does interviews) think about thank you letters for after an interview? Does it help if an interviewee includes a paragraph or so reminding you why they are a good candidate?
    Last edited by ActSciMan; November 3rd 2010 at 04:12 PM.

I'd send them out anyway, if someone really takes offense to getting one you probably don't want to be working for that person anyway. On the other hand, if the decision whether to hire you or not is based on whether you sent a thank you letter, you probably don't want to be working for them either. Personally, if I'm interviewing a candidate I don't care one way or another if someone sends me a "thank you" note - I'm not going to ignore it, but I'm not going to take offense if I don't get one. I'm much more interested in what that candidate knows and thinks and how they interact with others, not how willing they are to '''' up to make up for those things.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    I've heard people say both things, that a thank you note can be helpful and that it can be harmful. I choose to believe the latter because I find writing a thank you note to be an unpleasant chore.

Actuary.com - Level V Poster
    Ingratitude is rude. There is always time for courtesy. Thank you letters show courtesy.
    I thought this WAS a real job

Thread Information