Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: want to be an actuary, no experience, advice??

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Lightbulb want to be an actuary, no experience, advice??

I am a recently graduated college student with a BS in Mathematics, I want to be an actuary and am sitting for exam P in august. I would like to start working in the field (in chicago or surrounding) before then however and was wondering, what are my chances of finding a job with no experience and no exams yet? and if they are slim to none, what if anything should I do until then to better my odds of getting hired after I pass some exams? Should i try to get a job at an insurance company in some unrelated area, for instance answering phones, or anything to get my foot in the door? any advice/job leads(fingers crossed on that one) would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot.

P.S.
    I have read a few of the other threads on similar subjects, so I know that a lot of information on this topic is out there, but I was hoping that while I try some of the things suggested there I might as well also try and get some advice geared towards me. So please dont read this and regard me as a lazy kid whos clogging up the board with repeat threads, I really would appreciate any genuine advice. Thanks

Actuary.com - Level V Poster djerry81's Avatar
    i was in the same boat you are in.....i don't really think there are many opprotunities for entry level actuaries without exams or internships.....i am with an insurance company answering phones as we write.....taking exams also....my foot is in the door and there is a program here for entry level actuaries that pays pretty well....fingers crossed

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    I do know people got into the field with no exams. It couldn't hurt to send out your resume. If they see that you have no exams and still want to bring you in for an interview then you will just need to demonstrate to them that you are committed to passing exams and have the ability to do so.

i have pretty much decided an alternate route....departmental transfer.....at least i'd have a steady paycheck and some history with the company.....

even the recruiters i have talked to had to have at least one exam..

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmit9
    what if anything should I do until then to better my odds of getting hired after I pass some exams? Should i try to get a job at an insurance company in some unrelated area, for instance answering phones, or anything to get my foot in the door?
    At the company I work at, about half the people now doing actuarial work started on the phones, finishing their degree or taking exams while waiting for an opening. I worked for a mortgage lender. There are lots of things you can do. I would say that if you have a company picked out then working on the phones is a great way to get your foot in the door and then you can be one of the first to know about actuarial openings since many companies post openings internally long before anyone else knows about them.

Passing one exam shows you've got some committment to the field. Employers don't want to hire someone who says, "I want to be an actuary!" and when they ask what you've done to show you're going to stick with it, all you can say is "Um ... nothing - but I really want to be an actuary!"

You'll have to pass 1 exam to get anyone to pay attention; you'll probably have to pass 2 to get serious attention.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    Thanks for the advice, I was afraid of that, but I guess theres no harm in trying though huh?

Tevor Smith

I am 11 months away from being in claims to being an "excel monkey" in the actuarial department....hoooray

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster binky_4me's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmit9
    Thanks for the advice, I was afraid of that, but I guess theres no harm in trying though huh?
    exactly. i work for an insurance company and they don't care if you take exams or not, really. of course, that was not my plan, but i didn't even talk about that in the interview. out of 40 people in my actuarial dept, there are 3 people here who have no plans of taking exams, 4 that have taken 1-4 exams, and the rest are ASA and a handful of FSA. i'm still waiting on my results from may. from reading about other companies, some will actually hire you with no exams, so just go to different companies websites. good luck.
    binky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information