Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: How do you search for jobs?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

How do you search for jobs?

Right now, I use Indeed.com and specific company websites to send me email updates for available actuarial positions.

I haven't had the best of luck so far, so how do you suggest one searches for positions?

Of course, networking in real life is ideal, but I want to find great opportunities for myself also.

Thanks!

The list of companies: http://www.actuary.com/actuarial-dis...ead.php?t=2426

From there, just keep beating on doors - eventually one of them will open up. I got my first job applying directly to a company; it was probably the 9th or 10th time through the dance, but eventually I found a good fit and was able to nail the interview.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by drhugrobot View Post
    Right now, I use Indeed.com and specific company websites to send me email updates for available actuarial positions.

I haven't had the best of luck so far, so how do you suggest one searches for positions?

Of course, networking in real life is ideal, but I want to find great opportunities for myself also.

Thanks!
    Also go to the FSA/ASA directory on the SOA website. You'll see where all the FSA's are and who they are working for. Then google the companies.

RWL288
    When I use job search engines it seems like 90% of the very few of entry level positions listed are through recruiters. I looked up a few companies directly with no luck, I'm wondering if I should continue to do this? For example, if a company has a position they need to fill wouldn't I be able to find it on a search site or do some companies not post to search sites or go through recruiters?

Some companies will list positions internally before posting them to the general public. In those cases, you just have to wait. Otherwise, if you're entry-level look at companies directly; sure, you could go to a recruiter - but generally, companies will not pay a recruiter to find an entry-level person because there's so many entry-level candidates out there. [I discussed this in another thread recently.] Even if they say "1-3 exams, 1-3 years experience" apply; the worst that happens is that they say no.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RWL288 View Post
    When I use job search engines it seems like 10% of the very few of entry level positions listed are through recruiters. I looked up a few companies directly with no luck, I'm wondering if I should continue to do this? For example, if a company has a position they need to fill wouldn't I be able to find it on a search site or do some companies not post to search sites or go through recruiters?
    Use all methods to search for jobs. I found my job by going directly to the company's website. That's why I recommend doing so. In my searching experience, only about 90% of the companies I looked at had openings, but going directly to companies still produced more results than all other methods (recruiters, search engines, etc.) combined.
    Last edited by WyoFire; February 22nd 2011 at 10:42 AM.

RWL288
    I used that list of companies all day yesterday and found about 15 positions I qualify for and a ton more that welcome speculative applications/resumes and I've only gotten to the companies that begin with C. So yeah I'd say this method is already working better because I've only found about 5 from job search engines.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

P e r s i s t e n c e

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
    The list of companies: http://www.actuary.com/actuarial-dis...ead.php?t=2426

From there, just keep beating on doors - eventually one of them will open up. I got my first job applying directly to a company; it was probably the 9th or 10th time through the dance, but eventually I found a good fit and was able to nail the interview.
    Thanks to everyone! This is a beautiful thread of ideas, and I particularly like this list of companies.

The main message I am hearing is persistence.

Thread Information