Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: 3 Exams + No Experience = ?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

3 Exams + No Experience = ?

I have passed exams 1/P, 2/FM and 3F/MFE, but zero years of experience (not internships in college). I have been advised to not pass another exam, as that will make me overqualified for entry-level positions.

If I study for and pass another exam, could I just NOT list it on my resume? We're all getting older each day, and I don't want to waste my time simply hunting for entry-level positions.

I want to work with quantitative derivatives, so I plan on taking the CFA exams as well. I could start studying for level I. However, should I list that I passed CFA Level I if I happen to pass it this December?

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drhugrobot View Post
    I have passed exams 1/P, 2/FM and 3F/MFE, but zero years of experience (not internships in college). I have been advised to not pass another exam, as that will make me overqualified for entry-level positions.

If I study for and pass another exam, could I just NOT list it on my resume? We're all getting older each day, and I don't want to waste my time simply hunting for entry-level positions.

I want to work with quantitative derivatives, so I plan on taking the CFA exams as well. I could start studying for level I. However, should I list that I passed CFA Level I if I happen to pass it this December?
    I honestly do not believe that listing 4 exams (instead of 3) is detrimental to you. I would rather hire a person that has 4 than 3. It gets iffy if you have your ASA but no experience as you have to be fairly clear that you don't expect to be compensated at the ASA level. Be prepared to also receive the same salary as a person that has 3 exams but provided you do a good job, a good company would reward you at your next review.

From what I understand CFA level I is pretty ... not useful to anything actuarial so I don't see why you'd list it.

Thread Information