Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studying while working full time

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

Studying while working full time

What do all you other full time workers do who are not given study time during work hours? What is your study schedule like?
    I work 8:30-4 M-F and occasionally my boss will let me go at 12 to study or I can study at my desk but i'm not really supposed to and I've been busy with work lately...so I really get the most concentration at the library. But trying to study there from 6:00-8:30 or 10-4 on saturdays doesn't always work..I get tired after 2 or 3 hours. Is 3 hours the most you should study in one day? So i studied at the libary for 2 hrs today and only did 10 brand new problems and watched the video solutions..I'm too slow i think!...I think if I fail this time around it'll be because I didn't allow myself enough time. (I'm using TIA) for Exam 1

I don't work, I'm still in school. However I did used to attend school part-time while working. Put aside a two or three-hour block to study during weekdays after work.

You're in good company. I was wondering if I may not be getting enough work done myself. I think most people can't really study beyond 3 hours without experiencing severe diminishing returns on their knowledge intake. Plus the seventh minute of the free lesson "Study Schedule & Advice" in TIA Exam P addresses our concerns with study time length and getting tired. After three hours on a weekend, take a break, change things up, take a shower or do something different to rest your mind for at least 30 minutes. Gym, maybe? Or bike riding. I've been wanting to get a bicycle.

I don't use TIA myself though. Just Probability for Risk Management, ACTEX manual and ASM. It's my first time taking exams and I've been following the advice from Making the Grade.

All the best to both of us!
    Last edited by Zeigy; June 26th 2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    I agree that any constant studying for more than 3 hours at a time can be over doing it. Sadly , I'm no actuary but when I was studying for my GBA (Group Benefits Associate) I would work from 7:30 till 3:30 (sometimes 4:30 depending on the day) and then I'd study for a good 2 - 3 hours Monday - Friday. When I was reviewing for each exam, I would be studying 3 - 6 hours each day but would take a 5 - 10 min break each hour (go outside, call the gf, get something to eat, etc). Just make sure you don't burn yourself out!

I work from 9:00am-6:00pm. I study about 4 hours a day, usually from 8:00pm-12:00am. and it's a lot of work. sometimes the material just doesn't make sense and confuses the '''' out of me. I get frustrated that I get stuck in certain problem while I already have so little time to study. how do you guys deal with your problems like this?

to nini: sometimes you just have to drop it for the day and spend that time relaxing (also important).

Actuary.com - Level II Poster bsd058's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    What do all you other full time workers do who are not given study time during work hours? What is your study schedule like?
    I work 8:30-4 M-F and occasionally my boss will let me go at 12 to study or I can study at my desk but i'm not really supposed to and I've been busy with work lately...so I really get the most concentration at the library. But trying to study there from 6:00-8:30 or 10-4 on saturdays doesn't always work..I get tired after 2 or 3 hours. Is 3 hours the most you should study in one day? So i studied at the libary for 2 hrs today and only did 10 brand new problems and watched the video solutions..I'm too slow i think!...I think if I fail this time around it'll be because I didn't allow myself enough time. (I'm using TIA) for Exam 1
    I go to school full-time and work full-time as a broker. It can be tough trying to find time to study for exam P. I write this summer because I need more time to learn the subject matter. This extra time allows me to think about it for a longer time and allows the concepts to sink in a little easier. But like anything worth doing, you make excuses to do it; you don't make excuses not to do it. Something that might be beneficial is studying in the morning when you're fresh instead of studying at night when you're already tired from the day. Studying in short bursts everyday is easier than studying for longer amounts of time. My hobby is studying. I love it and sometimes I can be insensitive to others who do not like it as much as I do. Hence the conversation I had with nini. My pride gets the best of me sometimes and makes me not want to admit when I'm wrong and insensitive. Anyways, good luck to all of you. I hope we all do well.

And sorry nini. Hope you forgive me for being a jerk.

I do believe that you need to tough it out because in the end it will be worth it, but sometimes I can be arrogant.
    Last edited by bsd058; December 23rd 2011 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bsd058 View Post
    I go to school full-time and work full-time as a broker. It can be tough trying to find time to study for exam P. I write this summer because I need more time to learn the subject matter. This extra time allows me to think about it for a longer time and allows the concepts to sink in a little easier. But like anything worth doing, you make excuses to do it; you don't make excuses not to do it. Something that might be beneficial is studying in the morning when you're fresh instead of studying at night when you're already tired from the day. Studying in short bursts everyday is easier than studying for longer amounts of time. My hobby is studying. I love it and sometimes I can be insensitive to others who do not like it as much as I do. Hence the conversation I had with nini. My pride gets the best of me sometimes and makes me not want to admit when I'm wrong and insensitive. Anyways, good luck to all of you. I hope we all do well.

And sorry nini. Hope you forgive me for being a jerk.

I do believe that you need to tough it out because in the end it will be worth it, but sometimes I can be arrogant.
    lol. I was not mad!!! I do believe you were trying to help me, I love your "get off your butt and study study study" quote. my schedule used to be: work:9am-6pm, study:8pm-12am. now it's work:9am-6pm; study 8pm-2am because I'm getting really close to the exam date. and studying makes me feel emotionally satisfied. say, if I miss a day of studying, everything turns out to be "not right", and my head would keep telling me what a lazy ''' I am. sometimes I get stuck on certain problems and make a big deal out of it and whine a lot.lol. good luck to your Probability exam. STUDY HARD!!! I'm back to study now, I have about 1 hr and half to go before 2:00am :-)

Quote Originally Posted by adamstr View Post
    to nini: sometimes you just have to drop it for the day and spend that time relaxing (also important).
    you are right Adam, sometimes I study for way too long, all of sudden, my mind goes blank, it's like I don't remember anything I have studied. and I would stop studying for a day or two, feeling guilty, but it does help me study better after taking that break

Actuary.com - Level II Poster bsd058's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nini1021 View Post
    lol. I was not mad!!! I do believe you were trying to help me, I love your "get off your butt and study study study" quote. my schedule used to be: work:9am-6pm, study:8pm-12am. now it's work:9am-6pm; study 8pm-2am because I'm getting really close to the exam date. and studying makes me feel emotionally satisfied. say, if I miss a day of studying, everything turns out to be "not right", and my head would keep telling me what a lazy ''' I am. sometimes I get stuck on certain problems and make a big deal out of it and whine a lot.lol. good luck to your Probability exam. STUDY HARD!!! I'm back to study now, I have about 1 hr and half to go before 2:00am :-)
    Well, I'm glad I didn't hurt your feelings. Good luck, although I'm sure you won't need it because you are working your butt off!

i've given up. i don't need it.
    I'd rather be a Statistician. So that is what I am now striving for.
    I'm going to take more applied math undergrad courses.
    Then maybe later on I'll take it to pad the resume..it seems my studying has not gone to waste though. My upcoming classes will be using what I have learned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information