Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: how many questions should we answer correctly?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

how many questions should we answer correctly?

In order to pass the exam, how many questions should we answer correctly?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    krzysio told me that 70% passes with 99% probability which means that you have to get 21 out of 30.
    -karen

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    But this is a new test, without the calculus. We might have to get more correct than 70% to pass with 99% probability now.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    that was his prediction for the new test

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bv12
    But this is a new test, without the calculus. We might have to get more correct than 70% to pass with 99% probability now.
    Doubtful.

I don't think there's ever been an actuarial exam (from the first 4, anyway) where 70% correct has not been enough to pass.

Author, Instuctor and Seminar Provider krzysio's Avatar

How many to pass

Unfortunately you never really have a guarantee of what a passing number is.
    All I can tell you is that from observing actuarial exams and talking to my students taking them since 1991, I am utterly convinced that 70% passes. And I am slightly less convinced that 60% does not pass. The pass mark, as I see it, falls somewhere in between, based on the distribution of scores. But the decision on what the pass mark is comes separately for each exam, and so there is really no guarantee as to what you need to do.

I firmly believe that the best advice is to work very, very hard to get a score better than 70%.

Yours,
    Krzys' Ostaszewski

Quote Originally Posted by wat
    Doubtful.

I don't think there's ever been an actuarial exam (from the first 4, anyway) where 70% correct has not been enough to pass.
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysio
    Unfortunately you never really have a guarantee of what a passing number is.
    All I can tell you is that from observing actuarial exams and talking to my students taking them since 1991, I am utterly convinced that 70% passes. And I am slightly less convinced that 60% does not pass. The pass mark, as I see it, falls somewhere in between, based on the distribution of scores. But the decision on what the pass mark is comes separately for each exam, and so there is really no guarantee as to what you need to do.

I firmly believe that the best advice is to work very, very hard to get a score better than 70%.

Yours,
    Krzys' Ostaszewski

This exam was significantly easier than the old course 1 exam (in my humble opinion). Do you think 70% will still hold for this one? I sure do hope so because I know I had to have gotten 21 answers correct.

Author, Instuctor and Seminar Provider krzysio's Avatar

How many to pass

Yes, I have heard everywhere that the exam was surprisingly easy. I agree that this makes things much more unpredictable. But I still think that 70%, or 21 correct answers, is very likely to be enough to pass. Of course this is just my opinion, derived by my "intelligence guided by experience."

Yours,
    Krzys' Ostaszewski

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH
    This exam was significantly easier than the old course 1 exam (in my humble opinion). Do you think 70% will still hold for this one? I sure do hope so because I know I had to have gotten 21 answers correct.
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

FountainBlue
    this one's gonna be close...

Thread Information