Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: Resume Help

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Resume Help

Jordan Feinberg Resume 3.pdf

I am preparing to take the second actuary exam soon and I would like some help with my resume so that I can start applying for entry level positions. Any suggestions/criticisms are very welcome. Thanks!

In no particular order,

1. Refer to the first actuarial exam as Exam P, not Exam One. No need to explain what it is, anyone in the field who sees it knows what P is.

2. Omit the phrase "responsibilities include:" - if you provide bullet points explaining what you did, employers will figure out that those were your responsibilities.

3. When possible, include month/year for employment. If this means you have gaps in employment history, be able to explain them [saying "I was in school" is good enough ... if you were in school].

4. Current education goes before prior education, just like with employment. Degree work should look more like the following:

Associate of Business, May 2010
    College of Southern Nevada, Las Vegas, NV

5. Minor formatting issues [for consistency], but you should be able to figure those out.

6. Don't "box in" your personal information. Center it at the top of the page.

7. Change "experience" to "work history" - the former implies you have experience in the field that you're applying for; the latter spells out "this is everything I've done to date" and is more relevant.

8. Mention "high honors" in conjunction with education history, not in "skills and accomplishments." Give the date(s) when you achieved high honors.

9. If you know the name of the program(s) associated with "Insurance Illustration Programs" give those names. Otherwise, I might consider leaving it off entirely. Don't use "... and other applications" because it doesn't give any information. If you know a programming language [VBA, SAS, C++, Java] mention it here as well.

That should be enough to get you going.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Thank you for your help I have revised the resume while taking into consideration your suggestions. Here is my new resume:Jordan Feinberg Resume 3-2.pdf

If there is anything else that stands out to you, I would love to hear it. Thanks again!

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    My suggestions:

Remove 'Nevada Life and Health Insurance' from the Exam section just because I can't tell what it means. Maybe your interviewer will be confused as well by it.

Use some other word than 'Alleviate'. It looks thesaurus rex.

Voting Registrar section: Be careful. It's legit experience but half of your hiring managers voted for the other guy. You tried to, but this could still be worded more innocuously - 'Help register and provide information to interested blah blah blah' so they don't think, 'Good candidate, but he's not going to get all preachy and political on us, is he?'

GPA: use the same rounding for both numbers. It looks like you're afraid to put 3.65 or whatever. You want to seem cold as ice when dealing with numbers if nothing else! If it's truly 3.70, type that zero at the end.

Last section: since it's all software skills, may as well just call this section 'Software Skills' and drop the 'in Software'. Good luck!

The exam is called the Nevada Life and Health Insurance exam and is required to legally sell life and health insurance. I want to include it because I believe it may be something that differentiates me from other candidates. The job description did say alleviate sales associates but I'll see if there is another way I can word that. Ya I will use the other two suggestions though so thank you very much for your response!

I agree, the L&H exam is an accomplishment - the fact that alekhine may not know what it is doesn't diminish it. List it, but be ready to explain what it is; it might be better suited elsewhere, but if not I'd put it on the line below your exams passed just to give it more attention and de-clutter that area.

Back to the critique:

1. Don't say "Actuary Exam P" - say "Exam P" and the date [month, year] you passed. If you really want to put something in front, say "SOA/CAS Exam P" though if you're applying for an actuarial position, people will know it's a joint SOA/CAS exam.

2. Purpose before exams [though I'd leave it off entirely], education before work experience.

3. Since the only skills you mention deal with software, don't mention "software" at all. Again, highlight things you know how to do with each program where applicable; if you know Visual Basic, emphasize that in conjunction with Excel.

4. "High Honors" is usually noted as cum laude, summa cum laude, etc. - if that was awarded, use it instead of "high honors" [though I can't recall where that should go on the education line].

From there, hit the career center at UNLV and ask them to critique and revise; while you're there, make sure your interview skills are solid [and practice, even if you think you're OK here].
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Thank you guys for all your help. My resume is ready to be critiqued by my university.
    Last edited by JordanF; June 1st 2012 at 03:39 PM.

I passed the FM exam this morning so now I am about to start applying to jobs. Unless there are any suggestions, this will be similar to my final resume. Resume Jordan Feinberg Test.pdf While we are on the subject, how does my resume stack up for obtaining an entry level position? Also, if I am applying online, does it matter if it is on a Friday or the weekend or should I wait until the next available Monday? Thanks again, guys.

Thread Information