Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did everyone think of the exam?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

What did everyone think of the exam?

I had to guess on six of them. The exam was still easier than I had anticipated though. That actually makes me nervous because that means it will take more correct answers to pass.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    I thought the exam was a lot easier than I anticipated. I was thinking there were going to be really tricky annuity problems. But I didn't think there were. I was done a lot quiker than I thought I was going to be. I was the only one that took it today at my center! I guess we'll have to wait and see. They may post the answers on the SOA website in a few days. There are two things that come with taking an exam, relief and anticipation.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    I echo the sentiments of each of you (there were only four at my test center). I'm hearing from a few others that they thought it was much easier than anticipated, but that is just a handful. Maybe people were just very prepared; who knows.

I'm thinking around 18-20 as the pass score, but I have no idea; I've only taken two of these things.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    I left feeling pretty confident which should be expected considering how much time I've put into this.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    Maybe they made it easier to increase the pass rate, I did hear a rumor that the SOA wanted a higher pass rate. So maybe the magic 60-70% still holds, and there will be more people that will pass. Who knows, this is only a rumor.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    If it is still in that range then I think the percentage passing could be unprecedented.

AndrewH, did you take two exams this sitting? How was it preparing for two? I wish you the best on passing both of those! If FM went well, I was going to go for C next sitting, since that is the only other test in which I have had any previous experience in terms of coursework. But I think M and C together would be crazy, considering my school has no actuarial science program and essentially all of my preparation for the last two exams has been independent.

We shall see, though.

grievousangel
    I thought the exam was almost ridiculously easy. I worked and got answers that were one of the choices for every question, and only had to really think about what to do on a couple of them. VEE's are next. I'll be taking Econ and C.F. in August. Anyone have any advice on preparing for the Macro portion? The Wachtel studt notes have no problems of questions to check your understanding of the material.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grievousangel
    I thought the exam was almost ridiculously easy. I worked and got answers that were one of the choices for every question, and only had to really think about what to do on a couple of them. VEE's are next. I'll be taking Econ and C.F. in August. Anyone have any advice on preparing for the Macro portion? The Wachtel studt notes have no problems of questions to check your understanding of the material.
    It's a pretty bad source of information. At best, it's disorganized. Check out actuarialbookstore.com.

hidg19
    I thought the exam was easier than expected as well. I think I guessed on about 6 at the end, so I'm hoping that the pass mark does fall right around that 18-20 range. I am also worried that the pass mark will be higher due to the simplicity of the exam, but if they want to pass more people, maybe they will try to keep it around 60%.

UhHuh
    I'm in agreement. I'm worried that it was too easy and that the pass mark is going to be very high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information