I am going to be a senior in high school (in the IB program) this year, and it's time to start filling out some college applications. I have been trying to find a possible career that I would want to pursue that incorporates math but still pays decently, and I have landed on being an actuary. I have heard that it is extremely challenging and time consuming to pass the exams and become an established actuary. I have no problem with working hard and dedicating my time to something, but I would like to know if it is really as time consuming as others say it is? Also, how good do you have to be at math to be successful? I'm good at math and will be taking IB Calculus this year but I'm no savant by any means. I have to work hard to get math topics sometimes, but I always end up getting them. Also, is it true that it is a lonely profession? That is somewhat worrisome to me because I am a people person. In regards to college I know that Florida State University has an Actuarial Science Program through which you can major in it, but is that necessary or even the best idea? I would think that that restricts your job options in the future whereas at the University of Florida you can minor in Actuarial Science and major in something else. I know that was a mouthful, but I would really appreciate if any current actuaries could shed some light on these questions for me. Thanks!