Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi I'm a noob and need help

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Hi I'm a noob and need help

I decided late (like after I graduated college) to become an actuary, and so I wasn't able to get involved with any internships or the like.

I just passed SOA Probability test and I'm working on my VEE's and the next upcoming tests.

I'm wondering what kind of job opportunities can someone in my position actually have a chance of landing?

Thanks,
    A noob

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Depend on if you are willing to relocate. Some companies may hire people without even passing the first exam.

I'll relocate if need be. The problem is every single job seems like it wants some kind of work experience or internship, even if it doesn't require any tests. I was just looking via the SOA site and it was very discouraging

I know how that feels. I can't land a job after passing P, FM, MFE and very likely MLC in recent sitting. Not many companies need actuary in my town.

Did you try those consulting firms like Aon, Marsh, Towers Watson?

Passed P and working on VEE's? Congrats, you're in the same pool as about 6,000 other people ... maybe more. You need to knock out FM at a minimum; knocking out the VEE's would be even better.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

I'm taking FM Feb 2013, and I should also be done with my last VEE then as well.

I can combine a college applied statistics course with an ACTEX online Time Series course, right? And likewise, AP Macroeconomics with ACTEX online Microeconomics?

I guess I'll just sit out the job search until then, and maybe get a little head start on the rest of the preliminary exams too.

Thanks for the help.

Check your college and classes against this list: http://www.soa.org/Files/edu/edu-vee-dir-approved-courses.pdf
    The standardized exam list: http://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/resources/edu-vee-approved-courses.aspx

If your class is on there, it's been approved for a VEE exemption (meaning, if you take the class and pass it with the minimum required grade, you can apply and get credit for it).
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Yep I already checked that list, so I should be eligible for VEE credits. The whole thing about having to apply for both economics at the same time just sorta confused me, but I guess that's fine.

Also, are VEE grades important, or is it mostly just an "either you have it or you don't thing"?

I feel like I can manage getting an A+ in all of the courses if I put in a lot of time, but I could also be putting that time into preparing for the exams...
    Last edited by noob; November 14th 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Yes, you either get VEE credit or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanCounter View Post
    Yes, you either get VEE credit or not.
    So potential employers really won't give a damn what grade you get? That's helpful to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information