Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's go

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster

Let's go

Here we go, IB, and others if y'all are out there!
    act justly. walk humbly. love mercy.

Oh, I'm definitely* in this time. Got study materials printed, making the first pass through it all right now. I figure I'll be through in a month and can then start taking careful notes on it all.

And ... there's the NEAS seminar! If they have one in Boston (it's still undetermined at the moment), I'll obviously be at that one - otherwise, I'll be at the seminar in Chicago.

* unless I get a better offer from someone else in a completely different field ... which has a currently low but very real possibility of happening.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
    And ... there's the NEAS seminar! . . . otherwise, I'll be at the seminar in Chicago.
    I guess that makes two of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
    * unless I get a better offer from someone else in a completely different field ... which has a currently low but very real possibility of happening.
    Someone else? Non-P/C? :Shocked:

Um ... definitely non P/C. I won't go into details, but we'll just say that this whole "taking exams" thing would be irrelevant.

In the meantime though, ... all study materials present, starting to mark up papers and take notes, and 12 self-study hours down with an expected 360 more to go. (There's an internal transfer going on in all of this so I'll have to take a week and go find a place to live, but I've accounted for that.)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Early thoughts on the papers:

McClenahan - from past exams, the most important paper. A lot of stuff, but relatively easy to understand ... I'll just need to make up problems and work through them to get it down.
    Schofield - a little more difficult, but again ... I think I just need to work problems on this.
    Finger - The first half (which isn't tested much) wasn't bad ... the back half (which is what will get tested) hasn't sunk in yet. This will take some work.
    Boor (all ex "Compliment of Credibility") - very clear, very easy to understand. I'll have it down by the test.
    Boor, "Compliment of Credibility" - ... trying to keep this a family-friendly place, I'll just say it '''''.
    ASOP 13, CAS Principles - largely straightforward, similar to the other Boor papers.
    Bouska - doesn't seem too bad, I think I'll be OK here after some studying.

I've largely highlighted the Web Notes (Graves-Castillo ''''', Marker-Mohl '''''; still working through the Tiller papers; everything else looks at least bearable), have read Burger's paper once through but haven't marked it up yet, and will start through the CPCU books before too long.

That looks about right, although I would be hesitant to suggest "making up problems" for McClenahan as it has been on the syllabus since 1989, providing a wealth of actual exam questions.

I feel the exact same way about the Boors -- were three papers necessary?

The back half of Bouska seemed pretty rough, if I remember correctly. Reading her paper was very tough with no experience in the subject matter.

More to come; good job on your progress!

What's up?

I love my job .... I love my job ... I love my job ...
    I've at least read through everything except Feldblum's tomes (which I'll read shortly before the NEAS seminar in Chicago and then let him explain) and the CPCU books (which I expect to start after the 1st).

Boor's "Compliment of Credibility" still '''''. I at least understand Finger's paper now and have made progress on Burger, the note on deductibles and premium trends, and Marker-Mohl. I haven't deciphered the Tiller paper yet, I've read it and it's not clicking (yet). I do have Mahler's notes for this and that's helped in places.

If work would quit expecting me to do stuff, ... we have a major project which was promised to the customer on 1/15 before anyone asked Actuarial, "can you guys deliver this to us by 1/15?" because we would have said "Of course not." Instead, we have a hard deadline with penalties on us if we don't deliver on time.

And this doesn't consider another project I was hoping to have largely finished by now that's still in the early stages that I must have done by May 5 (when I rotate out), and planning for a move, and planning a trip to look for houses and coordinating it with everyone I have to at work, and looking online for houses, and trying to pitch stuff we're not moving, and ...... :Angry:

Ask me again in a month. Hopefully better on your side?

I wish you the best with all of your demands; I cannot empathize, but it sounds trying.

Papers left: Anderson; Bourdon
    CPCU readings left: 1/2 of Wiening; 1/3 of Flitner & Trupin; all of Myhr & Markham

Will probably start working through the All10 for the non-CPCU readings after finishing up the remaining non-CPCU readings and while finishing up the CPCU texts.

And Happy New Year!

Have run through all of the papers at least once and still have all of Myhr & Markham left to read. Working through All10 for ratemaking portions (currently on Feldblum, WC Ratemaking). Hope it's going well for you (and others).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information