Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: looking for exam p tutor (New York City)

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

looking for exam p tutor (New York City)

I am looking for an exam p tutor. I need someone who can teach me how to analyze problems quickly. I need to be able to solve 30 problems within 3 hours, and I just can't seem to do that. So, it was no surprise to me when I didn't pass my first try. If you can recommend a good tutor, please do. Thanks much.
    Last edited by suriitano; November 20th 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    if you are in NYC I know there are courses you can take over at St. Johns that will prep you for the exams. But it sounds like you are looking for someone to just help you be better at answering problems quickly?
    If that's the case, that usually comes with understanding the material better and lots of experience with as many problems as possible. Are you having trouble with your math? Are you prone to errors? Can't recall short cuts? If you understand the material but can't do it fast enough I'm not too sure what a tutor would be able to provide you. But if you are taking too long because you don't get it you might want to invest in more manuals or that course I mentioned.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I don't think I gave myself enough time. I took 6 weeks to learn the material and about nine days to practice as many problems as I could. Considering the last math class I took was a little over 10 years ago...I think I was just setting myself up to fail. When I was searching for the St. John's prep class I found a site called the infinite actuary. I just signed up today. I hope this helps. Thanks again.

No problem. If you are considering online courses such as that there is also another called CoachingActuaries.com. Lots of people use the one you found and this one. What manual did you use to prepare for the exam?
    If you are interested I think I've got some old P practice tests I can forward ya.

I used the manual "Probability: An Introductory Guide for Actuaries and other Business Professionals" by BPP professional education. Yes, that would be great. I'm not sure if I can receive attachments in my Inbox here. I'll send you my email.

I tried to private message my email, but it says inbox is full.

Sorry! I cleared out my inbox. I was wondering why I haven't received a message in a while! Lol

LOL...I private messaged you. Thanks so much!

Hi:

If you have not passed the P/1 exam yet and still are seeking a tutor, please call us at ActuaryExamTutor.com. We will have you work with your own personal instructor who possesses a tremendous background in the P/1 exam. Please call us at 1-855-SOA-EXAM or visit us at www.actuaryexamtutor.com

Thank you,

Howard Heller
    ActuaryExamTutor.com

Thread Information