Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: Help needed with class assignement - Interview an Actuary

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Help needed with class assignement - Interview an Actuary

Hello, I am a college student and as part of my Counseling class I need to research the career of Actuary. This assignment has been hanging out for some time as Iíve had little success in getting local Actuaries to respond. SoÖ..if possible, if there is a current actuary hanging around here, would someone please complete my questionnaire? At this point, one person doesnít even have to answer all the questions, some would be better than none. Thank you so much for any help you can provide. If you have any questions about this assignment, please just let me know. What ever help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.
    ~Mairzydoats

1. Explain how you found your current job?

2. What made you decide to enter into this career?

3. What kind of special training does one need to have, in order to have a job like yours?

4. What advice would you give to someone who is thinking of entering your profession?

5. What do you see as the job outlook for your profession?

6. What aspects of your occupation most appeal to you?

7. What would you change about your job if you could?

8. Are the skills of the job performed with people, data, or things?

9. What are the physical and psychological demands?

10. What types of organizations or industries employ people in this occupation?

11. What are the working conditions?

12. What are your personal interests? Does your occupation help you satisfy them?

13. What are the salary range and benefits (insurance, vacation, and fringe benefits) that you can expect?

14. What are the personal benefits of your occupation?

15. What did you have to give up in order to pursue your occupation? Was it worth it? Why?

16. What kind of lifestyle does your occupation allow you?

17. What's the most amusing or embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you on the job?

18. What has been the biggest hurdle you've faced on the job, and how did you overcome it?

19. What opportunities does your job offer for advancement?

20. Why do people leave your occupation?

21. What advice would you give to someone who wants an occupation like yours?

22. What are some other occupations/careers that you can enter with your degree?

23. How is your degree related to your current occupation/career? Could you work in your career without your degree?

24. How many years have you been in the workforce? __________years
    Since entering the workforce, list the careers that you had.

25. What type of pressure does the career/job put on your personal/family life?

That's quite a list of questions. Do you have a due date for this?
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Today by midnight pacific. Not a lot of time. I got the assignment two weeks ago, and spent the first week calling local companies and not having any success. So I went with my back up plan, the father of one of my sons friends who is an Actuary (who even said he would help) but he's not responding to my e-mails or returning my calls. Now I'm desperate. Right now I'm trying to piece together this info pulling from interviews with actuaries that are posted on the web. Not easy, but unless someone answers here, there's not much else I can do. I would be very thankful for any questions you could answer even if it's not all.

EDIT: I have managed to grab answers to questions 1, 2, 3, 10, 13, and 22 so far.
    Last edited by mairzydoats; December 12th 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: To define which questions I already have answers to.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    I believe Beanactuary.com used to have a section devoted to actuary interviews. I couldn't find it (maybe I confused it with a different site?) but I did find this.

http://www.beanactuary.org/news/?fa=whatTheyDo

Sorry can't find that database of interviews. It's somewhere though!

trsspidey that was one of the first places I looked when looking for interviews. I was able to find one, but couldn't figure out the right key words to search for to locate more. Turns out when you search for anything with the word interview in it, the results come back with an overwhelming amount of interview tips, or questions job candidates will be asked on an interview, not a great number of interviews WITH Actuaries - tried that too. And unfortunately, even the interviews I have found, well, a lot ask the same questions. So I have many answers to some questions and zero on the others. Even if I cant get all the questions answered the more the better when I turn it in. But thanks for the link. I really wish I could use some FAQ pages. I'd be done in a minute. But nope, I asked and it's not allowed.

OK, I sent a PM with answers.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Thread Information