Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Study Mannual for Exam P?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster Luckystar's Avatar

Exclamation What is the best Study Mannual for Exam P?

Please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

No response...!!!

I am new here, I thought I would get some kind help here......guess I was wrong :-(

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Well, I'm totally biased, but its the Coaching Actuaries manual: http://www.coachingactuaries.com/Exams/P1Probability.aspx

There aren't a lot of people on this forum, so if you want more responses, I'd recommend actuarialoutpost.com
    Raising your odds
    Coach Kester

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    The board may see some slight down time. Everyone just sat for a sitting of P recently so they may be taking a break or moved on to the next board.

Either way though my vote has to go to ACTEX. My favorite manual by far. My least favorite would definitely be ASM. Dr. O knows his stuff... but I don't feel the textbook teaches the material well at ALL (at least for me). I loved how the ACTEX authors presented the material and their practice tests.

Thank both of you for helping! And I will check that actuarialoutpost.com later.

There are so many kinds of materials out there... I was thinking why not SOA provides the only one official studying manual so that would be much easier for us.

Thank both of you for helping! And I will check that actuarialoutpost.com later.

There are so many kinds of materials out there... I was thinking why not SOA provides the only one official studying manual so that would be much easier for us.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar View Post

SOA doesn't recommend any study manual. For each exam, they do provide a syllabus which does provide suggested texts. Study manuals are published outside of SOA suggestions but most people use them because they break down the material in "simpler" terms and offer a lot of of problems to practice.

Thank you

I just wish they would...

There is nothing is "simple" according to such exams. Is that why actuaries get highly paid?

However, I just started to learn slowly...

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar View Post
    Thank you

I just wish they would...

There is nothing is "simple" according to such exams. Is that why actuaries get highly paid?

However, I just started to learn slowly...
    I didn't say simple, everything is relative. Actuaries get paid because we can, in theory, combine math and business knowledge to come up with "creative" solutions. As you progress higher, you will work on a lot of ad-hoc reports and therefore have to come up with those solutions. The exams (at least prelims) are mostly "barriers to entry". I use maybe 20-30% of what I learned on exams in my day to day work e.g. no one has ever given me a probability distribution and asked for covariance. I have used crediblity theory, simulation, smoothing techniques, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreExams View Post
    I didn't say simple, everything is relative. Actuaries get paid because we can, in theory, combine math and business knowledge to come up with "creative" solutions. As you progress higher, you will work on a lot of ad-hoc reports and therefore have to come up with those solutions. The exams (at least prelims) are mostly "barriers to entry". I use maybe 20-30% of what I learned on exams in my day to day work e.g. no one has ever given me a probability distribution and asked for covariance. I have used crediblity theory, simulation, smoothing techniques, etc.
    ''', you are already an Actuary! Congratulations!!!
    Glad to know that the real job as Actuary is not as hard as its exams...
    But I have a long way to go...from the beginning, hopefully, I would pass those barriers...

Would you please tell me how many exams are "prelims" for SOA?
    Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information