Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: Getting some excel Actuarial Experience without a job

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Getting some excel Actuarial Experience without a job

Hello

I am graduating with my MBA in May, found out about the actuarial field last year.
    I have passed FM/2 and taking P/1 in july.

I know how to use Excel but I would love to get actuarial type experience with it, kind of like working without working.

What type of work do entry level actuaries do? maybe some loss reserving, or predictive modeling?

Are there any sample data sets out there that I could run analysis on to get some experience?

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    Data is hard to come by. But CAS has organized some loss triangles that you could play around with:

http://www.casact.org/research/index.cfm?fa=loss_reserves_data

Those are specifically for Property & Casualty work. Knock yourself out.

Yes, loss reserving and predictive modeling are not atypical jobs for an entry level worker. You would probably be doing it at a very basic level on less important projects. Entry level work is not usually pleasant. I think the most common complaints I've heard over the years about entry level work are:

• Not as much math as I expected
    • I'm just updating a bunch of reports
    • People are arguing over page numbering and rounding to the 3rd or 4th place
    • Nobody is telling me what is expected of me - I need feedback!

I think these human concerns dominate at the entry level, but they really never go away.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    This isn't exactly your question, but my advice to any entry level actuarial workers would be: Get everything done early. This may require a lot of focus. Volunteer to help others with their work. Automate a task that your coworkers find tedious. Get your hands in different pots - pretend you are interested in everything. Ask the workers with the interesting assignments if they need help. 1 out of 10 times, they will say yes. Be likeable. Learn everyone's upcoming vacations, interests, and family member names. Never stress out your manager - relieve their stress. Pass actuarial exams as quickly as is reasonable.

I think those are the most useful skills once you're in.

Thread Information