Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Thread: How's your job hunting going?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Cool How's your job hunting going?

The actuarial job market looks a bit better than last year. So do have guys have problems landing entry level positions?

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    I know that the past three years people graduating from my university have had no problems landing entry level jobs.

I have not yet find a job after I graduated from University at April, i am so fraustrated. I live in Canada, 4 exam passed, no actuarial work experience. i am going to move to US, and am not sure where I should go in US?

You might consider looking for a job before you move if you're moving because you can't find a job. Maybe consider NY, CT, and Chicago?

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    How easy is it to move around the country and find jobs within this profession? I am changing careers (I have been working as a CPA for the past 5 years and plan on maintaining my CPA license) to actuary (take the first two exams this fall). My husband is military, which translates into moving every 2-4 years for the next 15 years. Is this a career stopper?

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK
    How easy is it to move around the country and find jobs within this profession? I am changing careers (I have been working as a CPA for the past 5 years and plan on maintaining my CPA license) to actuary (take the first two exams this fall). My husband is military, which translates into moving every 2-4 years for the next 15 years. Is this a career stopper?
    It's possible. It depends on the type of company. I wouldn't apply to many small insurance/consulting companies. The small companies are looking for longevity - it's not economically feasible for them to spend time and resources training students and having them pick up shop and leave in a short time frame. It will be hard to pick up requisite experience if you're perceived to move quickly.

Good luck with your job search.

falabsy

Hard to get a job

Quote Originally Posted by sundwarf
    The actuarial job market looks a bit better than last year. So do have guys have problems landing entry level positions?
    I had no luck finding an entry level job for the past two months

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    How many exams have you passed?
    I'm worried that success on P and FM will not be enough to get me a job this summer.

This probably isn't that helpful but I see a banner at the top for PacifiCare that says, "Immediate Actuarial Opportunities! - Entry Level to Director Level - click here." Give it a try.

I think it is really hard to get an entry in Canada. It seems situation in Canada is quite different with in US.

Thread Information