Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking exam 1 and 2 concurrently

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Taking exam 1 and 2 concurrently

Has anyone taken exams 1 and 2 concurrently? How difficult is it to do so? Do you really need to study 400 hours for each exam? That seems a bit excessive, but having not taken either exam I could be wrong.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK
    Has anyone taken exams 1 and 2 concurrently? How difficult is it to do so? Do you really need to study 400 hours for each exam? That seems a bit excessive, but having not taken either exam I could be wrong.
    A fair number of people try it. Is it doable? Sure.

The rule of thumb is that for every hour of the actual test, you study 100 hours. That translates to a total of 500 hours study for Exams P/1 and FM/2. I've heard of many people studying less than that number and passing the exam. It will be up to you how you feel about the material once you're done studying.

Go ahead and start studying for both, if you'd like to try. Then, if you don't feel that you can pass both, just don't sit for one of the exams - you'll get a partial refund.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Isn't this discussion purely theoretical now? P and FM are no longer offered at the same time (P in september and FM in november).

I took them both together this may. I feel i did fine on both. Studied off and on for 2 months - no idea how much real time was spent - but 300ish I would guess. I'll find out friday for sure. I used ASM manuals for both and felt fine.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by smj
    I took them both together this may. I feel i did fine on both. Studied off and on for 2 months - no idea how much real time was spent - but 300ish I would guess. I'll find out friday for sure. I used ASM manuals for both and felt fine.

it would be great if u could tell us the results.. i was thinking of attempting it too and was hoping for some pointers from you...

I'll remember to post results. I definitely overstudied for exam 2 (but only because the exam was so cheese this round). I finished in 40ish minutes - was able to solve each problem 3 times.

The ASM manual for exam 2 was perfect. I glanced at kellison's a few times here and there - but not really at all (mostly just for the new material).

The ASM manual for exam 1 i augmented with some practice problems from some random stats books because there wasn't an insane number of practice problems (as there are in ASM exam 2).

The length of the exam 2 study guide (from all the practice problems) really makes you know it well. I did every problem in the book once - and felt completely prepared.

It's official - passed both 1 and 2.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster
    Congratulations!

Oh yeah

Right there with ya ;-)

We'll,

I've run my own ebay/gaming type business for 6ish years now so I really do have all the free time in the world - just a matter of not procrastinating!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information