Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: So I passed P and FM. Which one should I do next?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

So I passed P and FM. Which one should I do next?

I've decided that I am not going to attempt taking two exams at a time again. Once was enough. I've heard exam M is harder than exam C. Now I know I'm going to have to take both of them anyway, but does anyone have any insight as to which one might be a little easier? Does C assume prior knowledge from M or vice versa? Anyone know?

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH
    I've decided that I am not going to attempt taking two exams at a time again. Once was enough. I've heard exam M is harder than exam C. Now I know I'm going to have to take both of them anyway, but does anyone have any insight as to which one might be a little easier? Does C assume prior knowledge from M or vice versa? Anyone know?
    Exam C is very loosely based on Exam M. The basic principles (or at least a very minimal understanding of them) from Exam M are needed for Exam C. You could probably pick them up in an hour or so - maybe some notation here and there and the general concept of survival rates.

I guess you could say that M is "difficult", but since it's been revised from the Course 3 syllabus, a lot of the harder material was removed from the exam. For the life side, it's probably the most specific material. It's always good to have a knowledge of Life Contingencies before getting a position in a life company.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Wat, do you happen to know what portions of Actuarial Mathematics I'd need to read for exam C? I've come across the notations for p and q in Loss Models, but I don't know what they mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Krieger
    Wat, do you happen to know what portions of Actuarial Mathematics I'd need to read for exam C? I've come across the notations for p and q in Loss Models, but I don't know what they mean.
    Well, if it's any indication, I passed Course 4 before passing Exam M.

The p's and q's are part of it (probability of survival and death, respectively). Those are well explained in Bowers (Actuarial Mathematics), but here's a brief lesson:

Quote Originally Posted by wat's explanation
    t_p_x, where the t and x are subscripts, is the symbol for "the probability a person currently age x surviving for t years until the age x+t". So, 10_p_50 is the probability that a 50-year old (right now) survives until age 60.

t_q_x is "the probability a person currently age x dies within the next t years - he/she does not reach age x+t". So, 10_q_50 is the probability that a 50-year old (now) does not reach age 60.

t and x do not have to be integers, but the numbers get a little more complicated when they're not. Chapter 3 and others of Actuarial Mathematics discusses this issue (Assumptions of Fractional Ages).

*One more note: if t = 1 (survive or die in 1 year), then you leave off the 1. So, p_50 is the probability of a 50-year old surviving for a year.
    Anyway, other than that, you may have to know a few things like limited loss variables [ (X ^ d) ] or mean excess loss [ (X - d)+ ], which are covered in one of the chapters in Loss Models (I apologize - I don't have the book with me, so I'm not quite sure which chapter it's in). Other than that, Exam C deals with a different section of the loss models material - namely survival analysis and credibility.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wat
    Well, if it's any indication, I passed Course 4 before passing Exam M.

The p's and q's are part of it (probability of survival and death, respectively). Those are well explained in Bowers (Actuarial Mathematics), but here's a brief lesson:

Anyway, other than that, you may have to know a few things like limited loss variables [ (X ^ d) ] or mean excess loss [ (X - d)+ ], which are covered in one of the chapters in Loss Models (I apologize - I don't have the book with me, so I'm not quite sure which chapter it's in). Other than that, Exam C deals with a different section of the loss models material - namely survival analysis and credibility.
    Isn't mean excess loss, e(d) = E[(X-d)+]/S(d)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Isn't mean excess loss, e(d) = E[(X-d)+]/S(d)?
    And that's why I'm done with Exam M.

Thread Information