Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Thread: CAS credit for exams MLC and MFE?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

CAS credit for exams MLC and MFE?

If I'm reading both the CAS and the SOA websites correctly, then the CAS will give you credit for Exam 3 if you pass both SOA Exams MLC and MFE; however, passing CAS Exam 3 does not give you credit for either of the SOA exams. Is this statement correct?

I have not yet decided in which actuarial field I want to work. I would just as happily work in P&C as in health, life, or pensions. Regardless of which society I end up joining, I want to have credit for 3 exams by the time I graduate in December.

I think I may be in a slightly unusual situation in that I will be applying for entry-level positions as both a recent graduate and a career changer. I have worked full-time (45-50 hours weekly) in sales for the past 9 years, and for the past 6 years I have been attending classes part-time to get a bachelor's in math, with a minor in astrophysics (usually only 2 or 3 classes per semester). I have two big strikes against me in that I am coming from a relatively "no-name" school without an actuarial science program, and my GPA is suspect, largely from courses I took well before I figured out what I wanted to do with myself in college. My GPA in my major will be about a 3.3, but my cumulative GPA will be only about 2.8. Clearly, there is no hope for me getting hired without three exams passed, and even then I figure about 90-95% of HR departments will pitch the resume because of my GPA.

Let's say I pass both M modules. Is credit for CAS Exam 3 automatic, or will I have to officially "petition" the CAS and show my exam M scores before I get credit? I couldn't find a clear answer to this on the CAS website. I would love to be able to apply to both CAS and SOA-track jobs with 3 exams passed, as opposed to only 2 exams passed for the CAS track, and 3 for the SOA track. No sense in leaving myself out of ~25% of the available positions by dismissing the CAS credentialing process.

Quote Originally Posted by TimDH View Post
    If I'm reading both the CAS and the SOA websites correctly, then the CAS will give you credit for Exam 3 if you pass both SOA Exams MLC and MFE; however, passing CAS Exam 3 does not give you credit for either of the SOA exams. Is this statement correct?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by TimDH View Post
    Let's say I pass both M modules. Is credit for CAS Exam 3 automatic, or will I have to officially "petition" the CAS and show my exam M scores before I get credit?
    At most, you'll just have to submit proof of passing both exams to the CAS to get credit.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Thread Information