Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: October 2007 Sign-In

I took the All-10 practice exams this weekend ... and I wasn't happy. I scored just over average, but my biggest issue with the exams is that they were nothing like what we'll see tomorrow. Lots of MC and T/F, so it's "all or none" on the scoring - whereas tomorrow there will be absolutely no multiple choice.

The other issue I had was the content of the questions themselves - if the actual questions look something like those practice exams, ... OOPS ON ME! I have about 250 notecards [whittled down to about 50 I don't have committed to memory] and many of the questions had content I don't even have on my notecards - probably because I don't see the exam having that content asked in an open-ended format and/or the content on those test exams seemed much more like minutae in places. So ... I'm skipping the rest of those, and going back to my plan: know high-level details, know the mathematics behind much of the stuff, be able to throw in a handful of standard answers where needed, and catch some list items that could show up.

I feel OK for this, better than I did in April with 5 - but IMO it's going to come down to being able to catch points on the essay questions. I should be able to get half the points without a lot of struggle, and my goal is to get to 70% ... so as long as I can pick up partial credit along the way, I think I'll be fine. We'll also have a clock in the room - something I didn't have for 5 - so I should be able to better gauge time and pick off problems accordingly; as long as the test ends up closer to 45 questions than 55, I think I'm good. I've got today and tonight to finish out DFA, if I can get half the points there I think I know enough on the rest to carry me through to a pass.

I'll let you know how it went this weekend after I've relaxed and caught some other stuff up at work and around the house.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
    I'll let you know how it went this weekend after I've relaxed and caught some other stuff up at work and around the house and watching the Patriots vs. Colts, etc.
    I fixed your post (I think!).

I wish you the best tomorrow, IB. Knock it out!
    act justly. walk humbly. love mercy.

OK ... so the verdict.

I feel pretty good about this - certainly better than I did after 5. I answered about 70 points, questions I didn't answer I wasn't going to answer no matter how much time I had. 47 questions in all, but I didn't think it was too long - the 15-minute reading period was a huge advantage for me this time, I had time to arrange papers and pick off the easier questions off the bat. I made steady progress throughout the exam, there were maybe 3 minutes of "wasted" time where I wasn't working on solving a problem ... that, "WTF - I have no idea" time that comes up every exam.

Things that did not get tested: Barnett-Zehnwirth, Steeneck, Kittel/Johnson, ASOP 9, CAS Reserving Principles. There was a tack-on part of a B-F question that involved Mack [explain how the B-F method could be refined ...], otherwise it wasn't tested; Brosius was only tested from the, "when is it / isn't suitable" standpoint. They hit the '''' out of Berquist-Sherman, though.

Last time, it was "... and if partial credit comes through, I think I might pass." Not this time - I think even if I '''''ed up a few of the 1-point questions, I'm in good shape. I had very little B.S. in the answers because I actually knew the answer or gave enough of an explanation that it should show I understood the concept being tested. I think the pass mark ends up around 52-53 because it's been around 51 and the CAS's goal is to get to 70% so they start in that direction, but don't make the leap there in one huge step; if I only get 75% of the points I answered, I'm at 52.5 and I think I ended up closer to 55 [which should be more than enough to pass].

Now back to 5 in a couple months, and hopefully a Christmas present from the CAS in December!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

ADD: I think we're going to file an appeal on one question (#41) - it's a Siewert question, and the information given is insufficient to really answer the question. I worked out a solution, but it's based on an assumption that probably doesn't hold in real life and certainly isn't supported by Siewert's paper.

Now back to 5 in a couple months, and hopefully a Christmas present from the CAS in December!
    Hope you had a Christmas present from the CAS.

I feel pretty good about this - certainly better than I did after 5.

And it'll be a great holiday this year.

I feel pretty good about this - certainly better than I did after 5.

And it'll be a great holiday this year.
    Congratulations, IB! I'm sure the IB household was happy for you.

Mrs. IB was incredibly excited when we saw my candidate number; I sat there indifferently saying, "I told you I was going to pass," trying not to crack a smile. [Of course, it just pisses me off even more that I didn't get 5 last time - but that will be remedied this May.]

That means 9 next fall ... but that's next fall. Right now, I'm going to wrap up a VEE and finish those off for good, then move to 5 and start loosely looking at 7 [though I won't actually sit for it in 2008 - it'll be a head-start on preping for it in 2009].

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information