Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October 2007 Sign-In

October 2007 Sign-In

All is strange and vague ...
    Are we dead, or is this Ohio?
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

So ... anyone else for CAS 6 this fall? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

So ... I guess since we're now to July 12 and no one else seems interested, I'll go it alone this time around.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    I'm taking it too, but I won't be ready to discuss any exam topics until days before the exam.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    How's it going?
    act justly. walk humbly. love mercy.

Computational stuff: going well. I've got a few things to nail down [Steeneck, Clark, Teng-Perkins, ... Ludwig is falling into place] but I'm confident of that.

Essay stuff? Yeech. I've got 3 weeks and a slew of notecards [and adding a few more every day] so I think I'll be ready - I think I've figured out that when in doubt, mention (a) large losses, (b) late reporting claims, (c) catastrophes, and (d) large line capacity. Depending on the question, one of those always fits for an answer.

I'll have 2 weekends to myself, one after reserving is done. I think I'll be ready - the goal is to get to 55/80, I think I can get there. [Of course, no MC questions this time around throws a loop into studying and I expect a few more "define the term" or "explain the difference between" questions this time.]

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    I realize this isn't the best place to ask this...but how much harder are the upper level CAS Exams compared to the upper level SOA Exams?

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
    Computational stuff: going well. I've got a few things to nail down [Steeneck, Clark, Teng-Perkins, ... Ludwig is falling into place] but I'm confident of that.
    Yeah, you certainly don't want to give away Steeneck or Teng and Perkins points. If I recall correctly, most of those Steeneck ambivalence point questions were the same from year to year, with slight variations. And Teng/Perkins questions are usually 2-3 good points, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
    I think I've figured out that when in doubt, mention (a) large losses, (b) late reporting claims, (c) catastrophes, and (d) large line capacity. Depending on the question, one of those always fits for an answer.
    Indeed! You can never go wrong with those.

For those non-computational reinsurance questions, really know the advantages/disadvantages of all types of reinsurance the syllabus covered. On game day, you should be able to list how surplus share differs from excess of loss and the characteristics of finite reinsurance without thinking. This was very helpful in attacking those questions last year.

Keep up the good work. We both have around three weeks for our respective exams, so don't slack off. Go for the gold (read: at least a 6).

We're thinking the Canadian version of the Steeneck problem could be up this year; it's certainly fair game - so it's on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace2415 View Post
    I realize this isn't the best place to ask this...but how much harder are the upper level CAS Exams compared to the upper level SOA Exams?
    No idea, I've never taken an upper level SOA exam - but I have to think they're comparable in difficulty.

I see. One of my co-workers was adamant that I learn that for last year, but I felt it was so unlikely and never did. I did, though, prepare for a lot of not-yet-tested or very lightly tested concepts. I believe it's certainly best to be overprepared.

How's it going?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information