Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes being actuary good besides $?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

Question What makes being actuary good besides $?

Actuary is the #2 best job in America. I know actuary is well paid relatively. However, what makes it good other than this? What makes it be the most satisfaction career? If actuary is based on calculation, will computer eventually replace actuaries?

I saw that list too, but I doubt biologist is better than being an actuary. For me, I think the best thing about the profession is that you can earn an exorbitant salary with only an undergraduate degree, something doctors and lawyers can't brag about.

It has little to do with salary and more to do with having the opportunity to solve technical problems with meaningful and important results. Job security is second to none as well.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    whoa, slow down. job security is amazingly good, but doctors have the best job security...they are always in demand

I would be hard pressed to say anybody has more job security than an FSA with 10+ years of experience.

True that.. though one must keep in mind that the Actuarial market is getting pretty densed and one can only remain in demand only if one continues to work hard and shoot for the best..e.g All 9 exams passed, and so on and so forth..

Actuary.com - Level II Poster TheFlyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaybeYesMaybeNo
    Actuary is the #2 best job in America. I know actuary is well paid relatively. However, what makes it good other than this? What makes it be the most satisfaction career? If actuary is based on calculation, will computer eventually replace actuaries?
    Hmm.... dont know enough about the field (at all really) to answer the computer question but I if it were possible; well then I guess actuaries will have to grab the computer programing manuals....
    computers need to be programed by someone... unless someone invented AI and didnt tell me...

Laura

Actuary.com - Level V Poster djerry81's Avatar
    I thought it was all about the money.....well I do like being a know-it-all

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    I can understand why actuaries were ranked as the #2 job in America.

1. The hours are nothing like a lawyer or doctor.

2. You don't need to go to school for 10-15 years, even though exams are required to advance in the actuary field, you can stop after taking the first 2 or 3 and be happy making 60k the rest of your life.

3. It takes a very intelligent person to be an actuary, much like lawyers and doctors, so the same level of respect is there. PLUS, the number of lawyers and doctors FAR exceeds the number of actuaries, so there is more of a...commodity amongst the actuary profession making the jobs all that more esteemable.

4. The career path is well defined by the exams you pass or fail.

5. There is no blood, no stress of defending a murderer, no stress of killing or saving a life...the type of work is enjoyed by actuaries, so as far as the stress level goes, I just can't see it being that bad (aside from studying and passing exams).

6. My favorite reason, you can go anywhere. You can influence anything and anyone. Actuaries influence so much of the economy that you just have to enjoy knowing that you are ACTUALLY making a difference with your job. An actuary is not a paper pusher, not a telemarketer, not a fast-food worker. Any person pursuing this career must love numbers, otherwise you wouldn't pursue it. And, not only do you get to number-crunch all day, you get to come up with ideas that will better the company and actually get to enforce them.

This is what influenced me to become an actuary and after reading all the testimonies of other actuaries on other sites, I honestly can't wait to finish college to get started.
    Last edited by Sphinx; June 13th 2006 at 11:07 PM.

Actuary.com - Level V Poster djerry81's Avatar
    being a biologist is a pretty cool thing if you like asking the why and how questions in life science matters.......i worked in a lab and I liked learning the stuff but I was more into math than biology.....and it would take forever to get to the level of my mentors.....and I wanted to make money now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information