Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: So what if you didn't get an internship before you graduated?

  1. #1
    Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    19

    So what if you didn't get an internship before you graduated?

    So I've done some research and what I'm reading in this forum is pretty much in agreement with what I'm seeing in the job market. Internships are required. BUT, I have a hard time believing that someone who has graduated without an internship, but still passed a couple of exams, would never be able to find a job. However, this is what I'm seeing.

    What's even weirder is that you have to be in college in order to get an internship. So, basically, if you graduate college without doing an internship then you'll never have a career? Seems rather harsh ... oh and stupid - can't forget stupid. This reverts back to the age old question "How do you get a job without experience, but how do you get experience without a job?" Some puzzles are timeless.

  2. #2
    Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    833
    I don't know how to break it to you, but you are wrong. In the US, you can get a job without internships. No experience necessary. If you can't find a job, you need to try harder.

  3. #3
    Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    474
    I've definitely known of people getting hired with an exam and no internships; I've seen it at a large insurance company and consulting firm over the past two summers.
    Last edited by .Godspeed.; July 18th 2005 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Forgot last four words
    act justly. walk humbly. love mercy.

  4. #4
    Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    152
    I just recently got a job with no internship. I also hadn't passed any exams. They hired me knowing that I was sitting for Exam P. I have since passed exam P and when I pass Exam FM I will enroll in their actuarial student program. So I guess I am proof that you can get a job without an internship and passed exams.

  5. #5
    Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyP
    I just recently got a job with no internship. I also hadn't passed any exams. They hired me knowing that I was sitting for Exam P. I have since passed exam P and when I pass Exam FM I will enroll in their actuarial student program. So I guess I am proof that you can get a job without an internship and passed exams.
    You don't need to list the name of the company, but I am curious about the size and field. What size company should I consider when trying to get a job without exams/internships? And is there any particular industry that is better suited?

    thanks,
    Nick

  6. #6
    Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    479
    I had no internship and only one exam passed and got a job a couple of months ago fairly easily with a very large insurance company. Also we have interns that have been out of college for quite awhile so you don't have to be a college student to get an internship.

  7. #7
    Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    6

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan_Horse
    I had no internship and only one exam passed and got a job a couple of months ago fairly easily with a very large insurance company. Also we have interns that have been out of college for quite awhile so you don't have to be a college student to get an internship.
    ah cool
    I guess that is the route I will go. From what I have heard/seen, most of the actuarial industry is mid-us and east coast. Perhaps I need to get out of California in order to get that first job before I pass the tests?

  8. #8
    Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    152
    Yeah the company I work for is large...Fortune 100 company. It's life insurance if your wondering

  9. #9
    Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    833
    I'm pretty sure Pacific Life, PacifiCare, and Fireman's Fund are headquartered in California. I'm sure there are others. If you don't want to leave California, there could still be opportunities there.

  10. #10
    You spam? I ban! Irish Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    1,301
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH
    So I've done some research and what I'm reading in this forum is pretty much in agreement with what I'm seeing in the job market. Internships are required. BUT, I have a hard time believing that someone who has graduated without an internship, but still passed a couple of exams, would never be able to find a job. However, this is what I'm seeing.

    What's even weirder is that you have to be in college in order to get an internship. So, basically, if you graduate college without doing an internship then you'll never have a career? Seems rather harsh ... oh and stupid - can't forget stupid. This reverts back to the age old question "How do you get a job without experience, but how do you get experience without a job?" Some puzzles are timeless.
    I'm late to the party, but.....

    I had 2 exams when I first got hired - I was in the same boat as you.....no internship but I had an exam passed and knew I wanted to do this for the rest of my life. The key is persistence - you have to show employers that you're serious about getting into this line of work. It seems like if you have an internship then it counts like having an exam passed b/c the people I talked to who were hired full-time at the same time I was hired had exams + internshps that added up to 2.

    Back to whether you should move or not. Obviously if you limit where you're willing to go, you limit your possibilities. It's not like if you move 1,500 miles to get a job that you have to stay there forever - I moved 1,200 miles to take this job. Put it this way - if you're a baseball player in college and you want to play in the majors, you're not going to say, "Look - I *really* want to play baseball be a big-league superstar, but I won't play for anyone but Houston and Texas." Then, if Houston and Texas don't want you, you're out of luck. Expand your possibilities, take the best opportunity you can, and make the most of it so you can get a job in the location you really want.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. about internship
    By wenjian1987 in forum Actuarial - General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 20th 2008, 09:33 AM
  2. Internship in US: Visa Issues
    By eastwind87 in forum Actuarial Employment, Jobs, Careers, Interviewing, Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 24th 2006, 10:30 PM
  3. Little help plz? Exam P and internship
    By mustangGT33 in forum Actuarial - General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 9th 2006, 03:47 PM
  4. Looking at internship possibilities:
    By SirVLCIV in forum Actuarial Employment, Jobs, Careers, Interviewing, Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 25th 2005, 02:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •