Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice Exam from SOA site vs. what's really on exam

Actuary.com - Level I Poster punkybeans's Avatar

Practice Exam from SOA site vs. what's really on exam

I'm planning on taking P1 in August in Vancouver. How similar is the practice exam (consisting of 123 questions, found on the SOA website) to the actual exam?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    There are a few problems very similar to what you see on the SOA 123. However, the difficulty, in my opinion, is much different than that of the SOA 123. In one of the other posts, someone mentioned that he saw a problem similar to what he saw in one of the recommended texts for Exam P.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Is the practice exam easier or harder than the actual?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    There's some debate on this but...

Personally I think the questsions are of the same level as the exam. The difference is that there are more easy questions in the SOA123. The early problems in the SOA123 are "gimmes" I think, and you won't get very many of them on the exam (maybe 2?). While they comprise a bigger portion of the SOA123. I also think you may see 1 or 2 questions on the exam that are harder than anything you see on the SOA123. This might be explained by the fact that anything covered in the SOA123 is likely also covered well in your study manual. So in summary, I think the SOA 123 is representative of the actual exam, just a little bit easier.

Personally, I thought the SOA 123 practice questions were pretty much EXACTLY what you get on the real exam...

On the real exam, they throw in two or MAYBE three questions from left field, but that's to be expected with any exam, and two questions probably won't make or break your score.

I think the 123 questions were definitely easier than the exam, but still very helpful. There was 1 of mine that was word-for-word the same question as one of the 123 ones, and someone else posted that perhaps 2 of his were from that group also.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    The SOA 123 questions are a good representation of what you will see. Some people think it's easier because they're already seen the problem before. If you're using a study manual, those questions are probably in your manual as previously used questions and authors gear their manual to answer these questions. If you're using textbooks only, I think they'd be the same difficulty.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Author, Instuctor and Seminar Provider krzysio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by punkybeans View Post
    I'm planning on taking P1 in August in Vancouver. How similar is the practice exam (consisting of 123 questions, found on the SOA website) to the actual exam?
    There are topics on the exam P which are not covered in the SOA123 sample. The level of difficulty of the exam is probably at par with the hardest questions from SOA 123. As I see it, SOA 123 is not enough.

Yours,
    Krzys'
    Last edited by krzysio; July 15th 2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Typo
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Actuary.com - Level V Poster sohpmalvin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysio View Post
    There are topics on the exam P which are not covered in the SOA123 sample. The level of difficulty of the exam is probably at part with the hardest questions from SOA 123. As I see it, SOA 123 is not enough.

Yours,
    Krzys'
    I do agree with the fact that SOA123 gives the brief idea about the actual exam; however, according to my opinion and pass experience, it is not adequate. For me, extra manuals are needed, for the questions in SOA123 are too easy compared to the actual one.
    Last edited by sohpmalvin; July 15th 2007 at 12:03 AM.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster Anu Dhanuka's Avatar
    If i do all problems of ASM Manual, and ACTEX together, is it sufficient to clear the exam?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information