Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing %

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

Passing %

Anyone knows what % problems you need to do correctly to pass?

Actuary.com - Level V Poster sohpmalvin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ingvar View Post
    Anyone knows what % problems you need to do correctly to pass?
    Nobody knows. Personally, I think it is between 20~23 over thirty.

It's about 70% (can't be much higher). If it was higher than 70% then it would be impossible to score a 10 (cause 40% higher than it would be over 100%).

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    I thought it was 60%?

Author, Instuctor and Seminar Provider krzysio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltad View Post
    I thought it was 60%?
    Definitely NOT. The passing score is most likely to fall between 60% and 70%, but 60% exactly is almost certaintly a failling score. And 70% is almost certainly a passing score. In my entire career as an acturial educator, I never had a student who had 70% or better and failed, and never had a student who had 60% or less and passed.

Yours,
    Krzys'
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Quote Originally Posted by krzysio View Post
    Definitely NOT. The passing score is most likely to fall between 60% and 70%, but 60% exactly is almost certaintly a failling score. And 70% is almost certainly a passing score. In my entire career as an acturial educator, I never had a student who had 70% or better and failed, and never had a student who had 60% or less and passed.

Yours,
    Krzys'
    Dear Dr. O,

Out of curiosity, how do you know what percentages of correct answers your students got? I thought CAS/SOA didn't tell the test takers how many correct answers they got. Just being curious. Thank you.

Best wishes,

Durh

Author, Instuctor and Seminar Provider krzysio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durh View Post
    Dear Dr. O,

Out of curiosity, how do you know what percentages of correct answers your students got? I thought CAS/SOA didn't tell the test takers how many correct answers they got. Just being curious. Thank you.

Best wishes,

Durh
    You are being so precise, so persnickety. You are right, I do not know this with certainty: I am basing this on what my students tell me after they look at published exams. I may be naive in believing them, but I generally think that this is most likely true.

Yours,
    Krzys'
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Aren't there 5 questions on the exam that don't count for your score? They're put there and depending on the results, they might use them as a real question on a later test. Or am I mistaken?

I'm always afraid that I'll end up getting all 5 of those right and end up messing up a bunch of the ones that actually count.

Quote Originally Posted by krzysio View Post
    You are being so precise, so persnickety. You are right, I do not know this with certainty: I am basing this on what my students tell me after they look at published exams. I may be naive in believing them, but I generally think that this is most likely true.

Yours,
    Krzys'
    Dear Dr. O,

I apologize for not taking what you say upon faith. I didn't know that you were above questioning.

Please forgive my ignorance. I didn't know that they publish exams with which you could possibly gauge someone's performance on a given sitting afterwards. I'm aware that we can find past exams up to 2003 at the SOA website. But pure calculus problems were still test in those exams, and those probability problems are already widely quoted.

If you don't mind sharing, where are the published exams that you mentioned? I'm certain that this valuable information would benefit all of us. I thank you in advance for your time.

Best wishes,

Durh

Quote Originally Posted by cactus smash View Post
    Aren't there 5 questions on the exam that don't count for your score? They're put there and depending on the results, they might use them as a real question on a later test. Or am I mistaken?

I'm always afraid that I'll end up getting all 5 of those right and end up messing up a bunch of the ones that actually count.
    idk why they would put questions on the exam that would waste your time like that. I am under the impression that they might weight certain questions more than others depending on difficulty, importance, etc. but I can't imagine questions on the test being thrown out completely unless it was later determined that the question was worded very poorly. Anyone know for sure though, I am just taking a guess at what they do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information