Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

View Poll Results: Is P easier to pass or FM?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • P was easier.

23 35.94%
  • FM was easier.

41 64.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you took both P and FM

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

If you took both P and FM

Is P easier or FM?

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Although I voted P, I feel it could go either way. As I've had a lot more experience with probability than finance, I found P easier but I imagine some feel FM is easier.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster MathForMarines's Avatar
    I voted for FM, but I took it when it was a 2 hour exam with no financial econ, and it had both a shorter syllabus and easier content. A lot of the problems can be solved by drawing a timeline and/or using the preset functions on your BA II plus, also no calculus is required except for the force of interest, which is rarely tested.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    FM is all plug and chug. P requires thinking.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster lechatnoirxvii's Avatar
    I agree, exam P required a lot more in the way of understanding. FM was more automatic. Much different material but if we were comparing apples to oranges, oranges (FM) wins in my book.
    Get a real job, be an ACTUARY :laugh:

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    I voted for exam P. Honestly...I think the material for exam FM was a lot simpler, except for the markets derivatives part. Exam P had too much variations. If it was just studying, I would say that FM is easier, but after taking the exams it seemed to me that exam FM was a lot harder than P.

Actuary.com - Level V Poster sohpmalvin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kahosit View Post
    I voted for exam P. Honestly...I think the material for exam FM was a lot simpler, except for the markets derivatives part.
    Really? I feel totally the opposite: Derivatives Markets parts are just a bonus so that I could get more marks in exam. I think this is a strong implication that whether or not P is easier, it depends on each individual.

I used to say that FM is much much easier than P. However, I don't now. There are many who passed FM at first try, yet failed P for many times, and there are also many who passed P at first try, yet failed FM for many times.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster Akki's Avatar

FM is easier

I took the new FM in Nov 07 & P in Feb 08.
    My experience says that FM is much easier than P.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster binky_4me's Avatar
    i voted for p since i passed it the 1st try 4 yrs after i graduated and i'm on my 4th stab at fm. i do see why some people say fm is easier. had i given it my all the 1st time i took fm (nov '06 before the change), i wouldn't have to keep trying to grasp the derivatives market info which is why i'm struggling now. :confused-:
    binky

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    I haven't found out if I passed FM yet (I passed P earlier this year and took FM in May), so if I failed FM, then, well, my vote would be for that as the harder exam. But based on how sure I was in passing one time expired for each exam, I felt more sure of passing FM than I did of passing P. What's more, I probably spent more time studying P than FM, even though I already knew a lot more about probability than financial math.

BTW, if I end up failing FM, I think it's going to be because of messing up the financial derivative questions, not the financial math questions, where I almost always got an answer that was a choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information