Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: Reinsurance vs Primary Insurer (P and C)

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Reinsurance vs Primary Insurer (P and C)

I've heard that its beneficial to start at a primary insurer before moving into reinsurance. Can anyone reflect as to why that is? I'd like to wind up in reinsurance eventually, and so am wondering how to best position myself to do so.

Specifically: I am currently trying to decide between an entry-level position in the reinsurance industry versus one at a primary company. Both positions are very similar in almost every respect - comp, benefits, exam program, career trajectory, etc. It seems that it might be a little easier to pass exams at the primary, since the work at the co in the reins ind. is client-driven - but the work seems more interesting at the reinsurance co.

So, to sum it up: would it be better to A. start at a primary, learn that perspective, pass exams a little faster and then attempt to move into reinsurance or B. to start off in reinsurance, maybe pass exams a little more slowly but come to know the reinsurance ind very well out of the gate?

If anyone in the industry might be willing to offer their perspective, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Actuary.com - Level V Poster djerry81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rj_rattigan View Post
    I've heard that its beneficial to start at a primary insurer before moving into reinsurance. Can anyone reflect as to why that is? I'd like to wind up in reinsurance eventually, and so am wondering how to best position myself to do so.

Specifically: I am currently trying to decide between an entry-level position in the reinsurance industry versus one at a primary company. Both positions are very similar in almost every respect - comp, benefits, exam program, career trajectory, etc. It seems that it might be a little easier to pass exams at the primary, since the work at the co in the reins ind. is client-driven - but the work seems more interesting at the reinsurance co.

So, to sum it up: would it be better to A. start at a primary, learn that perspective, pass exams a little faster and then attempt to move into reinsurance or B. to start off in reinsurance, maybe pass exams a little more slowly but come to know the reinsurance ind very well out of the gate?

If anyone in the industry might be willing to offer their perspective, I'd certainly appreciate it.
    I guess I will stay tuned since I started reinsurance. I'd think that in terms of having the time to pass exams, starting at an insurance co. is better than consulting. Maybe someone can confirm that for me.

Thread Information