Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VEE: Regression and Time Series

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

VEE: Regression and Time Series

I'm considering taking VEE classes. A question is: can I take regression class and time series class at the same time? I heard regression is a prerequisite by time series but I'm not sure how true it is.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster binky_4me's Avatar
    i'm taking an online time series course right now, and i took a regression course over 5 yrs ago... trust me, i totally do not remember anything from that regression course!! so far in the time series class, i'm finding that i need to look at some probability stuff again (mean, variance, covariance, etc). maybe that stuff was also covered in regression, but i don't remember. i think you could take them both at the same time with no problems...
    binky

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    I did the ACTEX online course, which covers both regression and time series. It's a quick way to fulfill the requirement, although the time series coverage is pretty thin.

Quote Originally Posted by binky_4me View Post
    i'm taking an online time series course right now, and i took a regression course over 5 yrs ago... trust me, i totally do not remember anything from that regression course!! so far in the time series class, i'm finding that i need to look at some probability stuff again (mean, variance, covariance, etc). maybe that stuff was also covered in regression, but i don't remember. i think you could take them both at the same time with no problems...
    Hi Binky -
    I'm in similar situation ... except I took regression over 10 years ago ... sheesh!

What time series course are you taking -- NEAS, Actex? How do you like it?

Thanks!

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster binky_4me's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeDaddy View Post
    Hi Binky -
    I'm in similar situation ... except I took regression over 10 years ago ... sheesh!

What time series course are you taking -- NEAS, Actex? How do you like it?

Thanks!
    i took the one by actex, but apparently online is not for me. i didn't get a b- so that was a waste... i'm one of those students that would raise their hand all the time and stay after class and go the teacher's office hrs... so i was emailing the teacher non-stop and most of the time couldn't get thru homework because she wouldn't get back to me soon enough for us to go back and forth. plus, i had so much going on in my personal life, i couldn't devote enough time to it anyways... i don't know what i'm gonna do next time. my co-workers have taken some classes thru neas and said it was great, so maybe i'll try them...
    binky

Quote Originally Posted by MathinTucson View Post
    I did the ACTEX online course, which covers both regression and time series. It's a quick way to fulfill the requirement, although the time series coverage is pretty thin.
    hi, i only need the time series portion of VEE applied stat, how long will it take me to finish the course if i enroll in actex? thanks. and how much is it?

We're currently in the process of updating our website www.actexmadriver.com to show the reflect the upcoming sessions of all our VEE courses. This should be ready in a few more days and will indicate the dates, timeline and price for each course.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by binky_4me View Post
    I was in samiliar situation when I was preparing for my Series 7 exam. I used this Series 7 Preparation App to refresh in mind my knowledge. The program has helped me and I passed the test successfully in the end.

Hi SweetSugar -
    So you passed the Series 7 and you're now an actuary? Do you mind if I ask how that switch came about? I'm also a career changer -- former computer programmer. How far are you in your actuarial career, how do you like it?

Skeedaddy

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    How hard are these 2 classes? How would you compare their difficulty to the Probability course? (the one for Exam P)

Which 1 of the 2 classes is harder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information