Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: Job Search with no exams in Philly Area

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Job Search with no exams in Philly Area

I am new to this Forum and wrote a similar message on another thread to someone that works for Watson Wyatt(so I apologize if I am redundant). I live in the Philly area and just decided after some serious thought two months ago to become an Actuary. I have no exams passed(which I know is a big negative) but have the desire, passion and skill set to make this change happen. I have experience in accounting(auditing), sales, and management and feel I am analytical and very proficient in Math. But, more importantly, I enjoy performing math and analytical related tasks. I would always score among the highest grades in my Calculus, Statistics(my colllege teacher who I became friends with thought I was crazy with how much I got into solving the problems and he mentioned this field. So I do regret not making this decision a long time ago. I just got caught up being '''ed by the big accounting firms and their very early job offer), Finance, and Accounting/Cost Accounting classes. Now I am aware that you don't necessarily sit at a desk performing complex Probability questions but I feel that the application of these skills will be what I will eventually be doing. Maybe I am wrong? I took/changed positions in the past to increase my wealth but lost that satisfaction that comes with a rewarding career(passion). I want to have career satisfaction; through a career that has: a sense of accomplishment, challenging, and rewarding. I think the Actuarial field gives me all these things. I applied with one company where I have several references. It doesn't seem that they require to have any parts passed because they have a special program. I also applied with a few other companies before reaearching the information on these forums(so I am pretty sure I won't be called). Anyway, maybe I could talk to someone on this forum in the Philly area and pick your brain. I'll treat for lunch or just chat over the phone or email. I have stayed in all weekend entering profiles and resumes on various sites(thru googling Actuary and Insurance jobs. I don't think I am wasting my time but I know I can be more efficient. That is why over the next week I will spend all my free time finding answers to my questions. Maybe I should put the brakes on or only apply with companies that will consider me w/o any exams passed??? I would hate to wait to interview until after May when the next exam comes. Thank You! Have a Happy New Year!!! Sorry for long post
    Last edited by nickrallis; January 4th 2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Information had too much personal information

Some thoughts please

Can anyone offer any advice. I know its New Years Eve but some toughts would be appreciated!!! Happy New Year!!!

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster dmbfan41's Avatar
    i know that a lot of companies only look at career-changers who have at least one exam passed (and i know of at least one company that requires two). most companies are not going to consider you for an interview for a full-time position if you haven't at least sat for an exam. work on passing one (and preferably two) exams, and your job-search will go much easier.
    "i find it hard
    to explain
    how i got here"

I have done alot of reading on this sight and another site since I last posted and have learned so much in the last two days so I understand completely what you are saying. I Thank everyone so much that takes the time to make this site what it is. But, I have some follow-up questions: 1)If I start studying for Exam 1 in May, can I put it on my resume that I am sitting for it 2)If I am trying to get out of my current field would it look desperate on my part or be seen as a sign of my committment if I apply for a job in a related or non-related dept(like for claims in a Insurance Co)with agreement that I will move to the Actuarial dept when I prove I can pass at least exam 1 3)How do I find out if the classes I took would count torwards VEE-I believe I took two Statistics classes, two Economics classes, one or two Finance classes.
    Last edited by nickrallis; January 4th 2008 at 06:15 PM.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster dmbfan41's Avatar
    1. as long as you are registered to take an exam (and are seriously studying for it), then i think it's reasonable to put that you are sitting for it.

2. this situation can be done. there are a few people i know who started in other departments in a company, then moved to actuarial once they passed some exams. there's no guarantee, of course, that you'll be able to get into that company's actuarial dept. but if you pass exams, other companies will look at you.

3. http://www.soa.org/education/educati...xperience.aspx

this link provides a lot of detail on VEEs. i believe you can always petition for a course to be accepted if it is not already on the SOA's list.
    "i find it hard
    to explain
    how i got here"

Thread Information