Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actuarial Jobs in Southern California

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Actuarial Jobs in Southern California

Hi All:

How is the job market in Southern California around Orange County or San Diego.

Thank you

Hai

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    BAD! so far doesn't look too pretty. =\

Actuarial Jobs in San Diego?

I am studying for Exam P right now. On the one hand I am excellent at math and have already seen most of the probability material in a course I took last summer, but on the other hand I didn't start studying until this week for the exam next month. I still think I will pass though. Anyways, I am going to be looking for a job in San Diego cause it's nice and sunny there. Right now I am in DC. Does anyone know any companies that hire actuaries in San Diego? I checked with Geico, but their SD office is just sales and stuff.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Look at the actuarial directory... unfortunately, there aren't many. Almost all of the actuaries in San Diego (44 of them total) seem to be in consulting.

can u give me the link for actuarial directory?

its on soa.org

Another question I have is how hard is it to get a job long distance? I hope to get a job lined up before I move.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    I assume your question is about getting a job in a different city than you currently live. You'll submit applications and get phone interviews. If they're interested, they'll fly you out for a day of in-person interviews. If they want you, they'll offer you a job that will typically include a relocation package.

I've moved twice with new positions and it went this way both times.

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan_Horse View Post
    I assume your question is about getting a job in a different city than you currently live. You'll submit applications and get phone interviews. If they're interested, they'll fly you out for a day of in-person interviews. If they want you, they'll offer you a job that will typically include a relocation package.

I've moved twice with new positions and it went this way both times.
    I understand that part, but does someone who has passed 1 or 2 exams have a shot at this (even with a good math/stats background)? I am a bit worried that if I do not have actuarial experience and just have passed 1 or 2 exams, they can find a local candidate with the same qualifications. It is hard to differentiate myself in this case.

Actuary.com - Level V Poster
    San Diego is great, but a tough place to start an actuarial career. For life actuaries, Pacific Life (Orange County) is closest. If you can move, talk to a recruiter about what you'd like.

With one exam, you can get a job elsewhere; better with two exams. Relocation is negotiable, might be the employer arranging and paying everything, but you can probably find a willing employer. (Some employers might prefer to reimburse after you arrange, relocate, and pay for the move.)
    I thought this WAS a real job

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information