Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: ACTEX Fall 2007 manual... good enough for May 2008 exam?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

ACTEX Fall 2007 manual... good enough for May 2008 exam?

I have just obtained a copy of ACTEX FM manual for Fall 2007. I am wondering if this manual will be sufficient for 2008 May/June FM exam coverage. I understand that there has been a change in both the number of questions and the exam length, as well as that this is the first time the exam will be offered as CBT.

Anyone studying for the May exam using ACTEX manual from 2007?

(I also own a copy of Mathematical Interest Theory by Daniel and Actuarial Mathematics by Bowers et al. I will also get my hands (eventually) on Derivatives Markets, I think.)
    Last edited by PureKorean; February 25th 2008 at 04:34 PM.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    I used ACTEX in the fall and I got a 5. It was my first attempt at any exam. I found some really useful things from the book, however, in my opinion it didn't give hard enough practice questions. I felt unprepared when I got done with the test. This time around I'm using ASM and so far the questions on that seem to indicate the kind of questions I saw on the fall 07 exam. So overall, it's a ACTEX is a decent book, but for a sure pass I would try to find something that gives harder questions.

Actuary.com - Level V Poster sohpmalvin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PureKorean View Post
    I have just obtained a copy of ACTEX FM manual for Fall 2007. I am wondering if this manual will be sufficient for 2008 May/June FM exam coverage. I understand that there has been a change in both the number of questions and the exam length, as well as that this is the first time the exam will be offered as CBT.
    I used both ACTEX and ASM, and I think that ASM prepared me better for the exam.

Quote Originally Posted by PureKorean View Post
    (I also own a copy of Mathematical Interest Theory by Daniel and Actuarial Mathematics by Bowers et al. I will also get my hands (eventually) on Derivatives Markets, I think.)
    Actuarial Mathematic is for MLC exam, and only the first 5 chapters and chapter 8 of Derivatives Markets are for FM exam.

Thread Information