Sponsored Ads
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of a difference from 2nd exam?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

How much of a difference from 2nd exam?

I've been having trouble getting interviews, I'm guessing because I passed P August 2006 but have nothing since (failed FM last May, basically just didn't study for it). Well I'm sitting for FM again in a few weeks, and I'm wondering how much of a difference will this make, when I pass it? (I will this time, no doubt). I graduated from Wayne State in December, 3.6 GPA, no actuarial experience but got 2 interviews in the first 2 months, one turned down, the other called me back for a final interview in March, but never heard back since then. So, from that I know my interviewing isn't the greatest, but since then I've applied to TONS of entry-level positions and got nothing.

I'm asking because I'm trying to stay in my general geographical region, but I need to know when to give up and start looking further away. I mean if passing FM should make a big difference then I'd want to stick it out here a little longer.

Or, should I just look for an internship or something, just to get my foot in the door? Or are those usually just for people still in school?

Thanks to all replies.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

My experience as recent grad...

I guess I can at least share my experience with being a recent graduate from EMU and looking to also stay in the metro area... I interviewed with a couple of companies before I even knew I passed one test. I sat for FM in May 07, failed, then sat again in Nov. 07. I passed, but started having positive interview experiences in December even. I didn't graduate until April, but all of the companies that were interested in me wanted me to be applying for full-time positions. Well, I went through this whole interview process with one company, after applying for a full-time entry level actuarial analyst position, and they came back with an internship offer because of my lack of experience (which was very obvious seeing as up until now I have worked customer service/food retail positions). I don't know whether my co-interns will be graduated also, or still have time left in school. But, I think its not a bad idea to take an internship. The companies are willing to still pay really well, with full-time hours, and some even offer housing arrangements (which is great when even a 25 minute drive can cost a ton in gas dollars.) Additional notes: I just passed P in February, after deciding to go for it after I began my interview process. I took the MFE last week, but have little expectations of a passing grade.

I've noticed your posts before as a local actuarial student, so I'm glad that I finally am able to step up and respond to a thread!

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Really? I guess, for whatever reason, I just always assumed most internships are unpaid. Well that does change things a lot.

Thank you for that advice!

Good luck!

Good luck with your job search and apply for some internships! Who knows, we might even run into each other someday if we both stay local!

I won't be graduating for another 3 years (I'm on the 12 year plan apparently...I'll be 28 this year) but I want to say in this general area as well (SE Michigan). If you don't mind I'd like to be updated with how people's job searches are going and get an idea of what sort of qualifications that local companies are looking for.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    I grew up probably 45 mins away from Wayne State, and my advice is to get out of Michigan. Is staying in Michigan more important then starting a career? I understand where you are coming from, but still..think about your future.

Actually, yes. My SO has a guaranteed job here and all our friends and family live here. I'm kind of attached to the state. Seeing as I'm not too picky about salaries I doubt it'll matter much.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kstyron View Post
    Actually, yes. My SO has a guaranteed job here and all our friends and family live here. I'm kind of attached to the state. Seeing as I'm not too picky about salaries I doubt it'll matter much.
    Not too picky about salaries means you're OK with salary of $0?

I'm sure there are some firms around that area but I don't know how many e.g. you always hear about MidWest and East Coast firms so I can't even speculate how many are in your area (I'll assume you've done that research). So having said that, what if by the time you graduate, they won't have an opening? Would your SO be OK with supporting you for a month, a year, two years, etc. until there is an opening near by? If so then sounds good

Actuarial opportunities in Michigan

I was excited to see another post on this forum. I am still working at the same company that I had the internship offer for in 2008 (mentioned in my post above). Every year I have been here, I have been very happy with the type of work I am doing and the compensation (income, benefits, etc.) that I have received. I have been regularly getting raises for passing exams (I am currently working on completing the FAP modules to achieve the ASA designation!) and I have additionally received yearly merit raises that are well above my peers in other career paths. I look back and feel lucky that I got this job so that I can be near my family, friends, and stay in Michigan - but I have routinely seen new hires and interns joining the company each year. Outside of the company I work for, I know there are at least 4 other company options for budding actuaries to get in the business. My recommendation: you can get a job in Michigan if you apply before you finish college (even try to get internships in the summers prior to graduating; best time to apply is in Nov-Dec prior to the summer, but try any time). Actuaries have a good reputation in the metro Detroit area, so I am sure if an actuarial position isn't offered to you within your goal time frame, try other business or economic positions in your area. Don't stop taking exams and gain some experience.

Thanks Jaxflood! Nice to have some advice on this that is actually useful to me. I'm hoping I can grab an internship in the next year (I have no exams under my belt right now) or so. EMU actually offers help with that and of course I will be looking on my own. It might not be easy but I am EXTREMELY driven (and stubborn) and determined to find a job here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information