Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: practice exams

Actuary.com - Level III Poster

practice exams

I seem to be able to get mid 20's on the ASM exams 1-5, but on the later Actex exams and TIA i'm struggling a little. I seem to be getting close to 20s, about 17s on those for some reason. I probably make about five or six dumb mistakes, which is really not good. On the ASM > 6, i can get about 17-20s as well. With only a couple days left (i sit on Friday), I don't know what to do. I have about 7 or 8 ASM harder exams left, 3 actex and 3 TIA exams left. I definitely am going to do the TIA exam (i got a 17 on the first one, but there were a few wording issues and things I actually hadn't seen before and a few dumb mistakes). Does it make more sense to just work the actex exams(i really don't like this book) and the easier ASM exams and the TIA exams, like do those a couple of time, rather than try all the ASM exams. I figure I have time to take about 8 or so more exams, and I want to take at least the 3 TIA exams, because i heard those were very close to the actual test. I've also been working the practice problems from this forum posted by ASM author. I could also move my sitting to monday, if i really needed to. I guess if Tuesday/Wed comes around and I'm still not getting 22-24 range on practice tests (i have gotten about 22-24 on ASM 1-5 and could probably do better if i take those again), i can push the exam back. Does anybody have any advice, or were in a similar situation?

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    I don't think you're far enough off the mark to push the exam back. You're pretty close to home. Perhaps an approach is to pick a few exams that you want to retake, study the solutions you got wrong, and retake them for a high 20's performance. I feel there's some value in consolidating your learning this way, and that it's not wasting time.

Add this to a few new fresh exams. Maybe one from each booklet to get a variety of problem styles. And keep heart. Good luck!

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Thanks for the quick response. That sounds close the plan I had mapped out in my head. Glad to hear i dont sound too far off the mark.

Thread Information