Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Thread: Number of people appearing for the exams

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

Number of people appearing for the exams

hey guys I was just curious to knw if there was a way to know the number of people appearing for the exams...like for the spring exam fm....i saw the result sheet and the number in it goes on till 91362...does it reflect the number of participants or m i missing out something..

thanks
    Last edited by khushboo; July 23rd 2008 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khushboo View Post
    hey guys I was just curious to knw if there was a way to know the number of people appearing for the exams...like for the spring exam fm....i saw the result sheet and the number in it goes on till 91362...does it reflect the number of participants or m i missing out something..

thanks
    my bad..d numbers on d result sheet go on til 28000 sumthin n then start wid 90000 sumthin...so tha theory dint work out...

This is posted on soa.org. You can find exam results by going to www.soa.org, hovering your mouse over "Education" at the top of the page, selecting "exam information", then "exam results". Then open the pdf file called "May 2008 Examination Percentage Results–Preliminary Exams". You can download it here: http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-2008-05-prelim-per.pdf . N=number of people taking exam.

B411et
    Quote Originally Posted by promathlete View Post
    This is posted on soa.org. You can find exam results by going to www.soa.org, hovering your mouse over "Education" at the top of the page, selecting "exam information", then "exam results". Then open the pdf file called "May 2008 Examination Percentage Results–Preliminary Exams". You can download it here: http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-2008-05-prelim-per.pdf . N=number of people taking exam.
    Is it just me or does it seem like there's A LOT of FM candidates for the May/June 2008 sitting, or to be more specific, 4847 individuals? Is there a reason for the sudden surge of exam takers?

Also, are the exams today easier to pass than years ago under the older exam systems? I'm just surprised that I passed these exams and trust me, I'm no math whiz.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca3083814 View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem like there's A LOT of FM candidates for the May/June 2008 sitting, or to be more specific, 4847 individuals? Is there a reason for the sudden surge of exam takers?

Also, are the exams today easier to pass than years ago under the older exam systems? I'm just surprised that I passed these exams and trust me, I'm no math whiz.
    Remember, FM is offered only twice a year. I guess that's the reason # of candidates appearing is soo high! Do you know what it used to be?

Take a look at: http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-arc...er-results.pdf

Spring 2008 has the highest number of exam takers for FM since the Spring 2005 exam, but that could be a function of ease-of-access and flexibility of taking the exam over a number of days with computer-based testing.

i agree...its got to b d coz of CBT...and ya im surprised i passed too...but then i guess FM is not as bad as P...P is sumthin which wud decide if I was a math whiz or not...

spring 2005 had like 5200 people writing FM.. 4824 in spring 06.. so, it's staying at pretty much the same level.. fluctuating a little bit..
    What I noticed is that about 48% people who took it in May passed it, which is the max since Spring 05 on which about 73% had passed. I wonder how easy that would exam would've been!!

Quote Originally Posted by pratik_theone View Post
    spring 2005 had like 5200 people writing FM.. 4824 in spring 06.. so, it's staying at pretty much the same level.. fluctuating a little bit..
    What I noticed is that about 48% people who took it in May passed it, which is the max since Spring 05 on which about 73% had passed. I wonder how easy that would exam would've been!!
    You can see for yourself - the Spring '05 exam has been released and is posted on the SOA website, in the exam archives. I went through the exam and was able to answer all the questions in about an hour, back when I was preparing for the May '08 sitting. It's super easy.

The Spring '07 pass % was 47.7%, almost as high as the pass % for Spring '08. With the exception of Spring '06, the number sitting for FM/2 has been declining steadily, until Spring '08. The number sitting for FM/2 increased by over 1,000 from Fall '07, for example. I would say that is more than a minor fluctuation.

Thread Information