Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Thread: Please tell me about the process of finding a job

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

Please tell me about the process of finding a job

For those of you who found an actuary job within the last few years, what was the experience like? Specifically,

1. How long was the process between beginning your search and getting hired?

2. How did you and your new employer find each other? Was it a job posting on the company website, a job posting on a 3rd party website like Monster, a recruiter, networking (e.g., you're a friend of someone who's a friend of someone at the company), or by some other way? Is any of these ways completely ineffective?

3. If you submitted your resume (w/ or w/o cover letter) online, how long did it take to hear back from the employer that they were interested in you and/or ready to interview you?

4. In case you were told or just know, what was it about you that made your employer choose you rather than someone else? Was it your college GPA? Your exam scores? Your computer skills? An internship? Your apparent personality/team spirit/work ethic? Something else?

5. How many interviews did you have that didn't lead to a job offer before you had your successful interview with your present employer?

6. Any words of wisdom from your experience? Did you learn anything about what to do (or what not to do) that might not be obvious to other job seekers?

Thanks.

Actuary.com - Level V Poster

Thumbs up Job Search Success

Quote Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
    For those of you who found an actuary job within the last few years, what was the experience like? Specifically 1. How long was the process between beginning your search and getting hired?
    Experience from several successful searches in the past decade: A few months, generally
    2. How did you and your new employer find each other? ...
    One through big recruiter, one through small recruiter, and two on-line, googling and co websites.
    3. If you submitted your resume (w/ or w/o cover letter) online, how long did it take to hear back from the employer that they were interested in you and/or ready to interview you?
    A week or two -- many don't respond at all.

4. In case you were told or just know, what was it about you that made your employer choose you rather than someone else? ...
    Exams, experience, and ethics with enthusiasm.
    5. How many interviews did you have that didn't lead to a job offer before you had your successful interview with your present employer?
    Several

6. Any words of wisdom from your experience? Did you learn anything about what to do (or what not to do) that might not be obvious to other job seekers? Thanks.
    Try to figure out what they want. Ask "What could I do in this job the first six months that would make you call me a success?" and "How could I help the most?" as well as "What do you see in the future for this company?"
    I thought this WAS a real job

Thread Information